SPG Air Spool

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks All,

I managed to peel it, and apparently mine is the first one (The spool stuck there apparently, i can't pull it out).

IMG_20150605_004622.jpg

IMG_20150605_002903.jpg

now... i can't get the hose out of the boot.... :(. (Both ends are too big for the bottom boot opening). anyone know how to do it? i'm changing the hose too.

Cheers,
Kebo

You can soak the housing (slide it further down the hose to keep hose end dry) in near boiling water for a few minutes to make the housing more plyable. Also using silicon spray will help the hose slide through rubber housing a bit easier but you still need to pull/tug the two apart

You can soak the housing (slide it further down the hose to keep hose end dry) in near boiling water for a few minutes to make the housing more plyable. Also using silicon spray will help the hose slide through rubber housing a bit easier but you still need to pull/tug the two apart

unfortunately I forgotten to slide the hose further down... :(. waters went in to the HP hose now. I try to dry it by making a whipping move with the hose... *i know it's stupid.

Thanks, I will try to soak the housing to near boiling water....

Elena was talking about trying to get the boot off, not the spool.

If you got water in the hose, that's ok, just hook it up to a tank without the SPG on it, crack the tank valve and it will blow itself out, just make sure you're holding the hose and point it away from you so it doesn't fly around.

To get the spool out, you might need to use pliers to pull it out. If you're replacing the whole spool it doesn't matter if it gets a little marred up, but if you have rubber coated pliers or something that would obviously be better. It shouldn't take much force to get it out, they're just so small you can't get a grip on it.

uncfnp, if you look at the threads on the SPG you can see the dangers of these types of boots because there is significant salt buildup inside the threads which is likely why the spool is stuck. The boots trap water and are supposed to be pulled back every time you soak your gear to clean it. Best to just remove the boot completely and tie a bolt snap on there if you dive with a computer and remove the console completely. If you don't have a computer and need the depth gauge, just make sure you pull the housing back to soak it every time you're in salt water.

Try soapy water, its easier to get rid of that silicone spray.

Elena was talking about trying to get the boot off, not the spool.

If you got water in the hose, that's ok, just hook it up to a tank without the SPG on it, crack the tank valve and it will blow itself out, just make sure you're holding the hose and point it away from you so it doesn't fly around.

To get the spool out, you might need to use pliers to pull it out. If you're replacing the whole spool it doesn't matter if it gets a little marred up, but if you have rubber coated pliers or something that would obviously be better. It shouldn't take much force to get it out, they're just so small you can't get a grip on it.

uncfnp, if you look at the threads on the SPG you can see the dangers of these types of boots because there is significant salt buildup inside the threads which is likely why the spool is stuck. The boots trap water and are supposed to be pulled back every time you soak your gear to clean it. Best to just remove the boot completely and tie a bolt snap on there if you dive with a computer and remove the console completely. If you don't have a computer and need the depth gauge, just make sure you pull the housing back to soak it every time you're in salt water.

Agree. I was for a while thinking this boot might keep salt water inside thus salt buildup might happen, apparently I'm not alone on this.

This is a plastic spg... will it safe to dive without housing on it? seems so fragile IMHO.

getting the old hose out of the boot will be relatively easy compared to getting the new hose back in. A dive shop should have an installation tool if it proves to be too much. This is a good time to consider moving your depth gauge or computer to one wrist and your compass to the other; then you won't need a boot any more.

Best way to loosen that spool is with a ultrasonic cleaner. That connection is not protected from salt water and simple rinses will not remove the salt after diving. (One more reason for extended soakings.) Alternatively, you can try soaking just up to the threads in hot water and then cold water to let expansion and contraction work to break the corrosion. A short bath (5 to 10 minutes) in a warm vinegar/water mix once the connection is cleaned may also help. This may take time (days) but those spools are easily damaged by any force so pliers are a no-no.

I really load that connection up with lube when I service mine just to avoid such situations. You can see the corrosion buildup on your threads.

AWAP, never seen someone recommend putting the whole SPG in the ultrasonic....

Hose out is easy, put the console in hot water, put some dawn dish soap on the end of the hose and a bit on the connection and pull it right through. Hose in is a bit more complicated but a bit of dawn on the inside of the console and push the regulator side of the hose through first and it should go in. Trying to go the opposite way is damn near impossible in my experience.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom