• Spg

Votes: 25 23.1%
  • AI

Votes: 34 31.5%
  • Both

Votes: 49 45.4%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have never used any transmitter and I'm thinking I should get a decent watch style computer for myself without AI and a fancy one with AI for my wife with a transmitter on my first stage for her to see because she's worried my SPG is nearing its end. Of course she'd want a transmitter on her tank too.

So I'm asking you because I like the tone of your reply to this thread. But anyone should by all means reply to me. Which computers should I consider for myself and which for her? I'm thinking Garmin Descent G1 for me, and a Shearwater of some sort my wife wants for herself. Anyone think those are good choices? They have to be rechargeable. I'll let my wife worry about transmitter batteries.
You mentioned a couple brands that I'm quite familiar with. I use both a Shearwater Perdix AI and a Garmin MK2s on most dives.

I've used AI pretty much since I started using a dive computer. So, I don't see me going back to an SPG anytime soon.

The Shearwater line and the Garmin line both use the same algorithms, and allow custom conservatism. So matching computers will be simple. If you really want a transmitter on your 1st stage so your wife can check your air, pretty much only the Garmin has the range to make that happen reliably. The rest use radio waves and the range limitation would mean that you'd need to be real close together in order for it to work. Most of the time she'd just see No Comms from your transmitter.

Shearwater has new computers coming out in a few months (Tern and Tern TX). Geared toward recreational divers and in AI and non-AI versions. A bit more than the G1, but reasonably priced when compared to the full color computers. I would definitely look at that as well as the new computers Garmin is releasing.

That's my sidemount rig and I'm pretty happy with it. I have no concerns with the reliability of the transmitters, but a button SPG is really helpful when setting up and checking if it holds the pressure.

View attachment 810631

Complete aside: I don't use short HP hoses on any of my transmitters. But, using them on my sidemount rig is the LAST place I would use short HP hoses. With the 1st stage attached in a 90 degree orientation (as you clearly run yours - and so do I), putting the transmitter directly into the 1st stage results in it being in the most protected place it could be. Right there betweeen the 1st stage and the cylinder itself.

I am down with button gauges on top like that. HP hoses on the underside is just pushing those transmitters out/down so they are more exposed (plus all the additional failure points the hoses add).

But, that's just my opinion - which is worth exactly what you paid for it. You do you. :)

Complete aside: I don't use short HP hoses on any of my transmitters. But, using them on my sidemount rig is the LAST place I would use short HP hoses. With the 1st stage attached in a 90 degree orientation (as you clearly run yours - and so do I), putting the transmitter directly into the 1st stage results in it being in the most protected place it could be. Right there betweeen the 1st stage and the cylinder itself.

I am down with button gauges on top like that. HP hoses on the underside is just pushing those transmitters out/down so they are more exposed (plus all the additional failure points the hoses add).

But, that's just my opinion - which is worth exactly what you paid for it. You do you. :)
I initially had the transmitter directly mounted for some time but found it safer and less risky to have them attached to a short HP hose. I use stiff armored hoses, and the transmitter sits nicely along my side. When handling cylinders or working with stages, I find it better that the transmitters are flexible and can give way.

I have never used any transmitter and I'm thinking I should get a decent watch style computer for myself without AI and a fancy one with AI for my wife with a transmitter on my first stage for her to see because she's worried my SPG is nearing its end. Of course she'd want a transmitter on her tank too.

So I'm asking you because I like the tone of your reply to this thread. But anyone should by all means reply to me. Which computers should I consider for myself and which for her? I'm thinking Garmin Descent G1 for me, and a Shearwater of some sort my wife wants for herself. Anyone think those are good choices? They have to be rechargeable. I'll let my wife worry about transmitter batteries.
Shearwater has just released the Tern, which is the recreational version of the Teric. It is available both without ($650) and with AI ($775). It's a great option if you're specifically looking for a dive computer. While the G1 is a "cheap" smartwatch with DC function. The Tern is definitely the superior DC and looks cooler :cool:

My wife wants a Perdix
You mentioned a couple brands that I'm quite familiar with. I use both a Shearwater Perdix AI and a Garmin MK2s on most dives.

I've used AI pretty much since I started using a dive computer. So, I don't see me going back to an SPG anytime soon.

The Shearwater line and the Garmin line both use the same algorithms, and allow custom conservatism. So matching computers will be simple. If you really want a transmitter on your 1st stage so your wife can check your air, pretty much only the Garmin has the range to make that happen reliably. The rest use radio waves and the range limitation would mean that you'd need to be real close together in order for it to work. Most of the time she'd just see No Comms from your transmitter.

Shearwater has new computers coming out in a few months (Tern and Tern TX). Geared toward recreational divers and in AI and non-AI versions. A bit more than the G1, but reasonably priced when compared to the full color computers. I would definitely look at that as well as the new computers Garmin is releasing.
I was talking to her about it for a couple of hours last night. She seems to want the Perdix with her mind made. She still wants to get two transmitters so that she can check my tank if needed but I am 100% going to continue using an SPG for at least another decade seeing as how the tech is still coming along and doesn't yet deliver my unicorn. Maybe by then it will let me listen to music too.

She has the concern that I am not careful enough or that my old ass SPG could fail which is a problem I have experienced before so I'm thinking if there is a problem she could just get close to me and either monitor my tank or share hers. We're just recreational anyway and she doesn't need to continuously monitor me.

I have heard the arguments repeatedly that I should get with the times, not least of all from my wife and I am going to continue to rely on an SPG, thanks. My compromise is that I'll let her slap a transmitter onto a very short braided HP hose and tie it off somewhere so it doesn't flap around. If I change my mind later, I could just slap down the equivalent of several car payments for another Shearwater shiny.

The Garmin Descent G1 kind of reminds me of my Casio that was made in the 90s and which I have worn for over two decades. I also have heard of Garmin devices for land nav lasting decades although again, I'm that guy that prefers paper maps and a Cold War era compass. So I'm thinking it will work for me. A friend of mine has one and he says he paid an extra hundred "pounds" for "solar" which is almost certainly a gimmick and also maybe a joke but I can apparently get the non-joke version for even cheaper. Anyway, I got to check it out and wear it for a day and it didn't beep and I didn't have to press any button to use it as a dive computer and see all the info I wanted.

But I still found myself checking my table to make sure it was correct. I do trust my wife though.

My wife wants a Perdix
Smart lady.
She still wants to get two transmitters so that she can check my tank if needed but I am 100% going to continue using an SPG for at least another decade seeing as how the tech is still coming along and doesn't yet deliver my unicorn. Maybe by then it will let me listen to music too.
Not 100% certain what you mean by the tech still coming along. Some early transmitters have been problematic. Some brands of transmitters seem to still have some issues. The PPS transmitters that work with the Perdix seem to be rock solid. I've got 3 of them, and they've all been quite reliable. For the most part, the tech on these have been quite stable. Some have added colors to indicate tank pressure, some add battery saving features (solution in search of a problem, IMHO) the Swift added capability of varying broadcast interval, but apart from that no significant changes in a while.

Garmin now seems to be pushing the envelope a bit with being able to send text messages via the transceiver. Sending text messages is quite a bit different than sending music.
She has the concern that I am not careful enough or that my old ass SPG could fail which is a problem I have experienced before so I'm thinking if there is a problem she could just get close to me and either monitor my tank or share hers. We're just recreational anyway and she doesn't need to continuously monitor me.
She shouldn't need to monitor you at all, but that's another discussion. If you are diligent about checking your gas levels, you should be able to communicate remaining gas info without the need for a nanny on your back. I regularly dive with my kids. They have transmitters as well, but I don't have theirs programmed into my computer. I simply signal them and have them let me know their gas level.

Her concerns about your old SPG failing may have more merit. It's a mechanical device. While failures are rare, they do happen. A failure of an SPG may go unnoticed. I've seen it happen before. Needle stuck at pretty close to full. I knew it couldn't be right, but if it stuck at a lower pressure, it may have gone unnoticed at first.
But I still found myself checking my table to make sure it was correct. I do trust my wife though.
Depending on your dives, you will likely find that the computer and table do not agree. If you only do square dives, then they will. Otherwise, the computer will give you more time than the table. If you do charters, you'll probably start finding that they may require a computer.

Descent G1 base model is $550.

Tern TX is $775.

You'll already have a transmitter. So, for an extra $225, you could have a better dive computer, tank pressure on your wrist AND still use an SPG if you want.

But, it sounds like you want something that reminds you of your Casio, so that's that. Nothing wrong with it, either. The best reason for anybody having something is "because it is what I wanted".

Deleted post due to duplication

Had a discussion with my instructor wether AI alone is safe enough or not I believe they are enough in them self he believes you have to have a spg and a transmitter. Got my curious what a peoples preference and why
Instructor here (not that it matters but you based your post on asking an instructor their opinion so I mentioned it) :) And I have hundreds of dives on an AI only system. I've never had a failure or an issue. Of course that's a sample of exactly one diver's experience, so do with that what you will. LOL. Personal preference, my friend. I'd never disparage anyone for reasonable redundancies. It's up to you whether you want it or not. SPG "needed"? Not likely. Peace of mind? For sure.

Could you give me advice on my next purchase? I am thinking of getting with the times and getting a dive computer. I had been thinking of getting one with AI but I figured it wasn't necessary and probably expensive. I currently dive a couple of times a day with just a depth guage and SPG and a Casio watch on my wrist.

I did briefly own a dive computer, maybe a decade ago which was a decade after I learned to dive. I have had the same SPG for the better part of two decades (made in Germany) and I have no reason to think it will fail anytime soon. I'm not that worried as I know my way around all my local dive sites but I am eager to travel again.

I had an Oceanic something or other and I hated it, so much so that I never bought anything Oceanic ever again. It beeped a lot and I had to press a button to see more data when I looked at it. I'm aware I could have probably changed some settings but it just seemed like a passing trend at the time. I was quite happy to upgrade back to a PADI dive table. I finished the course I was doing (PADI IDC) with a cheap Mares dive computer and it was OK, it's on my wife's wrist when we dive together now. She says she wants a better one too. So I am aware of how essential dive computers have become but I am not accustomed to using one.

There was also one time I used rental gear and an SPG sorta failed. It was imperial, which should have been fine for a gringo like me but I wasn't used to it. I was able to do the math until about halfway through that trip when it seemed to start showing me having significantly more pressure than I should have had which if not for my suspicious nature would have led to danger. No incident reported.

@Failed captcha. I appreciate your comments, and asking for my advice, but I don’t have the knowledge or expertise to give advice on the many computers on the market. You will get great advice on this thread and others concerning the same question. My needs for a computer are very basic, and my only must have is AI. Good luck in your search.

Back
Top Bottom