Speigel Grove non-penetration - any safer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We kinda left it hanging until we actuall SAW what the Grove now looks like.

IM(VH)O, the reason the Grove is not any safer today is because there are now more ways to screw up. I have to respect Brent's approach to screening divers for ability.

Before the Grove turned upright, the danger for less experienced or out of practice divers to drop right to the sand... it was like diving a wall.

We really don't have that problem anymore, though I suppose the possibility still exists for somebody to get disoriented negotiating around the outside of the superstructure from the bow-deck, and drop without realizing it... but there are plenty of portholes and landmarks to keep divers from doing this.

Of course, there's still the current, though it seems to slack around the boat.

But the big problem now is that there is just so much to see and do that it's easier to lose track of time... of course I'm writing about less cautious, less experienced divers, but there's just no way to see the whole boat on one dive, where before we could easily visit the screws from the bow and make it back with plenty of time to spare.

Add the "bounce" factor (it's now more of a multi-level dive if it ever was), and all those irrestable penetration opportunities and divers can really get themselves into trouble.

Thanks, Brent, for being one of the few boats that really screen divers for the Grove.

I only have 3 "post-righting" dives on the Grove, but I fear she is actually more likely to get people in trouble. All well-deck dives are now in excess of 100' & the likelyhood of un-trained divers slipping to 120+ is high.
Also the sheer number of openings in decks 1-3 make penatrations all too inviting. Saturday there were traffic jams in some hallways & a lot of those people should NOT have been inside.
All that said, I am glad it's upright & intend to spend a LOT of time inside that beauty.
I also agree with Mike, I wish all Key Largo opertators were as serious about safety as Brent.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom