Speigel Grove non-penetration - any safer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MikeJacobs

Reaction score
It might be a good idea to re-visit the safety issue regarding the 'Grove now that it's been righted.

I'm NOT discussing wreck-dive penetration, which is a whole other thread.

When it was on its side, it was easy for less experienced divers to drop below 100' without realizing it. That, and the current, made dive operators cagey about who they brought to the site.

Now the deck stands at about 80' max from what I hear, although the well deck still drops to the sand at nearly 130'. There is plenty to see between 60' and 80'.

Does this increase the safety of the dive, and is it time for operators to revisit their concern for divers certified at the OW level only?

On a personal note, I've been on the sideways-Grove at least 10 times with all kinds of divers - the vast majority open-water certified only and many once-a-year tourists. I've never seen a problem, and though I still see a need for careful pre-dive instructions I no longer see a need for the extraordinary precaution some operators took in the past.

I disagree with the post of allowing Green BOW divers on a dive that varied of obstructions and depths. It is too easy for them to drop down to the 130 mark to just see a little further. Their gas last them for 30 minutes on the flower garden..... they have not developed the look swim.. glance.. that we take for granted.
Just like a new driver that oversteers, overbrakes, accelerrates.. has a hardtime watching the side mirrors.. the car in front and their Six all at the same time.

Learn to dive. There is SO much to see at 60 on a reef.. the wrecks only get better and with 80 dives under your belt they will be that much better for you.

I would say it will be safer, with plenty to do so far off the bottom it will probably keep newbies off the sand and being upright it won't be disorienting, but it's hard to tell if the currents will be worse and less predictable, regardless, it still won't be for the fresh-from-OW diver.

Well, I was one of the fresh from OW divers that got to dive the SG. It happened to be my 6th and 7th dive (Thursday after getting certified on a Wednesday). Luckily there was little current that day, so we went ahead with the dive. I can attest to the ease that a new diver can drop deeper than intended. We were planning to stay around 70-80' going down from buoy 6. I ended up with a max depth of 98'. I feel that it would have been far easier to maintain our goal over a deck instead of over the side. Part of my excursion was due to not paying enough attention to depth and part was a sense of adventure (hey, I'm at 85', let's try to hit 100'...). The next dive was on buoy 5 and I had a max of 77'. I'm looking forward to getting back to that wreck. (Obviously I still need some work on buoyancy control.)

we depart at 8:30am. Please don't make me get up any earlier than I already do. Let's all trust that those in charge will give this thing the proverbial nod... the sooner, the better.

BIGSAGE136:
Booked! 7/24 7:30. Capt Brent.
BTW, Captain Marvel drives the boat... I'm just a lowly dive instructor and occassional crew!

KeyLargoBrent:
we depart at 8:30am. Please don't make me get up any earlier than I already do. Let's all trust that those in charge will give this thing the proverbial nod... the sooner, the better.

BTW, Captain Marvel drives the boat... I'm just a lowly dive instructor and occassional crew!

Hook me up Crew member Brent. I called and left a message, sent a PM and posted in two threads. Does enthusiasm count???

Joe

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom