• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Spectrum FFM LP 2nd stage hose preference

Discussion in 'Fins, Masks and Snorkels' started by F_Raven, Aug 2, 2020.

1. F_Raven

F_Raven Angel Fish

# of Dives: 25 - 49
    As the title states 2nd stage hose length preference on a FFM, any FFM to be honest. Im just curious if people shorten their 2nd stage hose with FFM's. Thinking about going half the length of my standard apeks XL4 hose length.

2. Bigbella

Bigbella ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: I'm a Fish!
    My full face masks all have hoses, just short of a meter in length (36"); and I never had a reason or desire to shorten any of them . . .

F_Raven likes this.
  3. tbone1004

tbone1004 Technical Instructor ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: I'm a Fish!
    it all depends on your routing. I use a setup very similar to @Lake Hickory Scuba since mine needs to have dual inputs. I use a Poseidon Atmosphere and use an omniswivel on there that takes care of hose adapter/swivel/OPV duty for me, and the block is on my left shoulder. For the university owned masks that I use, we have fairly short hoses on them, I think about 28" or so, but if you used braided and/or a swivel you could go shorter.

F_Raven likes this.
  4. Resqdivemedic

Resqdivemedic Public Safety Diver

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    I use a Spectrum with Hog Zenith. I found with a shorter hose there was a pull on the mask when looking left. Changed to a 32 inch hose with a swivel and problem solved.

5. Jayfarmlaw

Jayfarmlaw Divemaster

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    I dive a Guardian for team work and run a 39" octo hose under my arm to a 90 degree fitting on the mask. I find it very comfortable with no restriction looking left.

Jay

F_Raven and Sh0rtBus like this.
  6. Sh0rtBus

Sh0rtBus One of those damn FFM divers ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    I dive the Ocean Reef ffm with a 40" MiFlex routed under my right arm and hard 90 fitting. I previously used a ball swivel but following a bailout last summer due to a blown o-ring in that swivel, I switched to a hard 90 and it works, but I'm going to be switching to a 110 just to give me a little more kick out away from the mask and surface air valve. When I first started diving ffm I ran the normal hose that it came with, but I found that it created the possibility of getting snagged so I changed to a longer hose that I could keep tucked closer to my body and a little more streamlined. It's worked so far.

F_Raven and Bigbella like this.