SPEC boots

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Is there any reason besides diving in icy cold water for using a spec boot?
Yes, to keep silt/sand/salt crystals out of the ambient chamber. These particles, no matter how tiny, cause abrasion of the sealing surface. Additionally, because the ambient chamber is now packed with lubricant a constant source of lubrication is available to the piston head and stem o-rings.

Yes, to keep silt/sand/salt crystals out of the ambient chamber. These particles, no matter how tiny, cause abrasion of the sealing surface. Additionally, because the ambient chamber is now packed with lubricant a constant source of lubrication is available to the piston head and stem o-rings.
Hi Couv, I have a MK 10 Spec that doesn’t use a boot, seems you can’t run these dry cause the ambient chamber holes are so small and flushing would be difficult. I bought it and never realized it was a spec because the outside of the holes look normal I didn’t realize the inside was so small in order to hold the grease. I’ve only used it in the pool and I want to use it in the ocean but don’t really want the mess of the grease, just thinking is there any solution to running it dry and still able to flush well? Or is the small holes no issue when flushing?

Sir they are a standard size and I just drill them out without even damaging the chrome in the first bit of the hole. but drill slowly so there's less to clean on the inside

Sir they are a standard size and I just drill them out without even damaging the chrome in the first bit of the hole. but drill slowly so there's less to clean on the inside
Thanks, so are they more of a plug than machined in?

Thanks, so are they more of a plug than machined in?
No, the MK10 chamber holes are machined in.* I'm not one for drilling the holes out.

If you don't want to pack the ambient chamber with grease, you'll have to ensure you've done a proper job of SOAKING it after a dive trip. Rinse well after each day of diving and soak overnight after the trip. Awap used to have a water bottle handy to squirt water in the ambient chamber between dives.

*Scubapro did have other models, MK5 Environ & MK7, that had screw in inserts with tiny sintered filters. I suppose the idea was to keep the grease more securely in place.

BTW I have a few MK10s SPECs with no grease in the ambient chamber. Because they get a good soaking I've not seen any issues. But now that I have a few boots those MK10s will be getting packed.

No, the MK10 chamber holes are machined in.* I'm not one for drilling the holes out.

If you don't want to pack the ambient chamber with grease, you'll have to ensure you've done a proper job of SOAKING it after a dive trip. Rinse well after each day of diving and soak overnight after the trip. Awap used to have a water bottle handy to squirt water in the ambient chamber between dives.

*Scubapro did have other models, MK5 Environ & MK7, that had screw in inserts with tiny sintered filters. I suppose the idea was to keep the grease more securely in place.

BTW I have a few MK10s SPECs with no grease in the ambient chamber. Because they get a good soaking I've not seen any issues. But now that I have a few boots those MK10s will be getting packed.
Thanks, I’ll try and find a large syringe that will fit inside the holes.

While pumping the grease from the outside is the method SP used, it is not the method I recommend.

See @superstar 's quick video:

Back
Top Bottom