Scubapro MK10 SPEC Boot Molds - Free if you'll use them!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Post some photos when you can, it would be fantastic to see their stuff. Greetings
This is his mini vacuum. He built it into a DVD case! On/Off switch, speed controller and pump. A little hose goes to the mouthpiece of the magnehelic. Can very precisely control the vacuum.
20230929_101721.jpg

I like creative people, like Couv was, I know that they build their own things and that when they wake up during the night, they think about how they are going to solve the next piece, do you know what I'm talking about? He would have been my ideal father-in-law. When you can, keep posting some more photos, please, I am personally saving them. GREETINGS

I have acquired Couv's collection of stuff that he left behind and amongst it were two molds for casting Mk10 SPEC boots. One 3d printed and one machined mold. You'll need a vacuum chamber to cast them without voids (which I don't have - if I did, I would keep them and cast myself). If you're interested in them and are willing to give me a hand full of boots in return, you can have the molds for free.

View attachment 803584
I'd love to have 3 or 4 spec boots like this produces (i have like 9 MK10's now) - not sure that's enough to ask for the molds though. To whoever does get these - would you sell a few you make??

@raftingtigger made the first ones when @Couv and I were debating the SPEC issue some years back.
You might DM her and see if she is still able to make them...
20231001_114739.jpg

And I can no longer remember which SB master craftsman made this trial for a Mk25 for us. My apologies!
As you can see, the compartment's not yet filled, but this might be the one thing that would convince me to use that otherwise ridiculous regulator. :stirpot:
IMG_20231001_115714.jpg

And I can no longer remember which SB master craftsman made this trial for a Mk25 for us. My apologies!
As you can see, the compartment's not yet filled, but this might be the one thing that would convince me to use that otherwise ridiculous regulator. :stirpot:

I've got two MK20s on my bench right now and the MK10 boot fits promisingly well....

20231006_103955.jpg

Without dampening your enthusiasm, let me offer a caution regarding using the Mk10 boot for a Mk20.
If you look at your photo, you'll see how stretched the boot is compared with the much narrower diameter that it's designed for.

The boot works because the cylindrical pocket between the two "walls" is a flexible chamber as the piston moves. With valve opening and closure during breathing (and to a much larger degree upon reg pressurization) the piston head moves up and down. Therefore the volume of the ambient chamber changes by a measurable amount. The existing boot works because the "roof" of the chamber is very thin and flexes in and out accommodating volume changes inside the ambient chamber. When the piston head moves up, the lube oozes out of the holes, but is contained in the boot. When the piston head moves down, that lube goes back in the holes, and the roof becomes concave.

When the boot is stretched as much as it has to be by the Mk20, that chamber is significantly diminished in volume. If there's not enough volume to allow uninhibited lube movement in and out of the holes, IP will fluctuate mid-breath.

My second observation is that in the Mk20 pictured, you'll note that the ambient holes are very close to the bottom of that groove. Therefore, the boot's "walls" will necessarily partially occlude the ambient holes, and further constrict lube movement.

I don't think that model Mk20 will work as well with a boot, because there needs to be room for the boot walls to seal on either side of the ambient holes.

Sorry to be the bearer of potentially bad news.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom