Spec Boot For Mk-15

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sorry about derailing this discussion to a MK-10.....

Here is the MK-10+ and the MK-10.
View attachment 371511

Note the MK-10+ installation directions vs the MK-10
View attachment 371512
There is another one, but I can't seem to find it now.....

It looks like there are 2 very different sleeves. The top one, with the index post is NOT a SPEC boot, just a cosmetic trim piece. The holes need to be unobstructed. The bottom one is a SPEC boot, and the holes are covered to keep the silicone ambient grease inside and prevent water (but allow pressure) to transmit.

my bad....

upload_2016-4-13_18-34-6.png

(the 10+ spec boot has 1 small hole in it.....)

As to packing (and assembling/lubing), DOW-Corning Molykote 111

a suitable and usable boot for a MK 5.

again, does someone have a MK-5 SPEC that has any sort of a "chamfer" to hold the SPEC ring - like the MK-10/10+? I have only seen the "stepped ambient hole" MK-5. How would you propose to add/use the boot? Or, did you man the MK-10?

rhwestfall,

I'm not looking at my MK 5s right now so may be all wet :-D. I'm figuring that I can create, from scratch, a SPEC boot by making a cast from a MK 5 brass body. If I do the casting method the cast will have protrusions matching the ambient ports. That will keep the boot in place. Alternatively I can create one with any suitably flexible material that also keeps the silicone packing material inside the ambient chamber and find some other method of retaining the boot. Of course this needs testing before depending on such a home crafted modification in actual use. Mounting and carrying such a modified first stage on a pony or stage bottle as a testing platform seems reasonable.

Also a careful reading the attachment on 2 posts above it implies that SP did make a SPEC boot/kit for the MK 5. First paragraph, 2nd line "S.P.E.C. kits are available as an accessory for all Scubapro first stage regulators". Need to keep an eye out for one.

in 1988 the MK-10 SPEC (2nd gen) was the first one to implement the "band". Prior to that it is the "two stage" ambient holes to accomplished the SPEC configuration. The MK-5 didn't seem to ever have the "band or chamfer".... A "cap" (the body/ambient chamber with the special holes) and a tube of silicone appears to constitute a SPEC kit. There are numerous regs in the line that had the stepped ambient holes (2,3, 5, & 8), but none until the MK-10 2nd gen had the trim ring... caps were later also for the 200 & 2..

Edit: ^^^ what he said.

I've never seen a SPEC boot for a MK5. The SPEC model MK5s I've seen (with the exception of the Environ) have smaller than usual ambient ports. Back when SPEC was introduced, thick silicone grease was the medium; so I think with the combination of thick grease and small ports ScubaPro's felt that the grease would stay put and keep the water out.

Somewhere in the dark recesses of my mind lives a picture of some oddball screw-in sintered filter plugs that went in a few models of the MK7 and possibly a few MK5s.......sorry, lost the plot there for a moment- I suspect SP used the term "kit" loosely and meant: tube of grease with a long nozzle.

Somewhere in the dark recesses of my mind lives a picture of some oddball screw-in sintered filter plugs that went in a few models of the MK7 and possibly a few MK5s.......

I know nothing about the MK-7, but yes, there was a MK-5 "Environmental" that had a bulbous body and some type of plugs...

upload_2016-4-14_7-30-38.png

question: has anyone considered something like a rubber band (like they package broccoli or asparagus with) to act as a membrane over the ambient holes of a packed chamber? It should transfer pressure.....

question: has anyone considered something like a rubber band (like they package broccoli or asparagus with) to act as a membrane over the ambient holes of a packed chamber? It should transfer pressure.....

Think I suggested some of the new self sealing silicone tape earlier. Of course that is silicone on silicone. I don't see how that wouldn't work as long as it stays in place. OTHO it looks homemade :-D

Hmmm... I see some pony bottle 2-4 ATA experiments coming up. Stay tuned.

Back
Top Bottom