Spec Boot For Mk-15

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Another possibility. Anyone have one MK-15 SPEC boot (wide) in ANY condition?

I have a Clausing manual mill and a sweet short bed machine lathe that has a plate on it that reads: "This machine conforms to orders of the war production board."

Both maybe a tad on the old side of things, but together more than enough to make a precision mold for some of that high-end aerospace Dow Corning silicone elastomer.

I should have a new one still in the package around here somewhere. I'm swamped this week and cave diving next week, so send me a reminder in a couple weeks and I'll get it found and shipped your way.

Anyone have a picture of said cap? I'm helping lowviz with his project and want an idea of what he wants molded.

Anyone have a picture of said cap? ...//...
I just got one in the mail.

I was expecting a simple silicone cap like the MK17 uses. This is an external boot that serves to keep the grease in place, makes sense. There is detail inside of the boot that has to be preserved. See pic. My first attempt will be to mold a hard vacuum degassed Urethane around a center pin on an aluminum plate for the inside of the boot and a flexible silicone or latex for the outside of the mold. I'm pretty sure that the outside can be made "pullable" in spite of the curvature.

This isn't my specialty, feel free to critique...

Attachments

• SPEC Boot MK15.jpg
    SPEC Boot MK15.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 110
lowviz, That will be super simple to duplicate via casting. I can remotely walk you through the process. PM me.

raftingtigger,

Greatly appreciate your detailed instructions, sample, and experience with casting. I love learning new things from those in the know...

:)

No reason to keep the instructions private. Here goes.

Stuff needed:
1. Go to Smooth-on.com and pick the TIN CURE silicone of your choice. Oomoo-30 is what I'm using, but that was local availability.
2. Get a can of mold release wherever you get the silicone
3. Find a FLAT bottomed container that will completely enclose your model, but only has about 1/2" extra around the sides. Plastic cups work great, don't worry about any writing on the bottom of the cup.
4. Get a small amount of non-hardening modeling clay
5. 2 measuring containers and one mixing container (plastic cups) and a flat stir stick (popsicle stick)
6. Rubber or nitrile gloves

Process:
1. Roll a bead of clay smaller diameter than the top of the boot. This will be a pour channel and will get cut off the castings. Make a circle of this and stick to the top (fattest) part of the boot.
2. Put the boot, clay side down, into the container. Make sure it is centered
3. Spray with mold release
4. Measure and mix up the silicone
5. Pour over your boot. Cover the boot by at least 1/2". Let cure overnight - DO NOT HEAT CURE THIS, you will destroy your precious real boot.
6. Remove the mold/boot from the container and work the boot out. You are now done with the real boot
7. Spray mold release into the newly created mold.
8. Measure and mix more silicone, fill the mold, let cure overnight
9. Heat cure per the directions
10. Remove your new boot, rinse and repeat.

Have fun. I store my stuff in the refrigerator, it seems to last longer than advertised this way.

Mold Making and Casting Materials by Smooth-On

Chart of all smooth-on 'rubbers' some are silicone and some are urethane. I think the silicones are better. I would not make the mold with anything stiffer than what I sent you. BTW that is Oomoo 30. Your casting can be with stiffer stuff. Personally I would get some Oomoo 30 and make the mold and then cast a boot and see if it works for you. If not you have the mold and you can cast a stiffer material. Buy trial sizes - tons of material for you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom