spearfishers, how do you carry your catch?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pluto

Registered
Reaction score
How do you guys that spear carry your catch? metal stringer, line stringer, or bag? If its a bag how much does it drag on you if any? thanks

We call 'em diaperpin stringers.

A bolt snap is attached to the stringer with 2 wire ties. This is attached to a BC d-ring that allows the stringer stay near the hip.

If flounder is the catch of the day, I might carry a 5 foot pokey pole which has a wire stringer with a bar attached at the end.

My wife carries a mesh lobster bag, but I end up putting her fish on my stringer.

Since we tend to be slow and stealthy while spearfishing, bag-drag hasn't been a problem.

We use the same stringer Stone mentions - but we don't drag it around with us at all. The sites we hunt are generally fairly small, so we clip the stringer off to the down line. Some folks don't mind the "unclip it and let the shark have it" procedure, but I'd just as soon skip the "unclip" portion of that.
In all my years of spearfishing, I can count on one hand the number of stringers we've lost to sharks using our method - and I still have all my fingers.
Rick

. . . on small sites (M60 Tanks, small barges).

Some of my favorite sites are the natural reefs that are long enough to prohibit the swim back to the anchor.

I have given up a flounder to a bullshark by pushing it off the end of the Hawaiian sling. If the flounder would have been on the short pole with wire stringer attached, I would have lost the pole. Having said that, I'll have to make a quick disconnect for the wire stringer.

I spear with a 6' hawaiian sling off a small boat, and return with the catch immediately after taking it. I don't even remove it (a big flounder) from the spear until it's out of the water.

In a cooler.

It depends on the species you are after and the environment you are fishing in. For larger fish I would suggest getting out of the water with your catch or to retreive your catch if its large enough to warrant the use of floats when open water hunting.

~Marlinspike

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom