Spear gun and pole spear as a self defense weapon?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

we have an estimated 300+ million guns in private hands here, pretty much at least one for every person of all ages & genders. In short, we're away with guns. we now have legal concealed carry in some form in all 50 states 7 even DC has been ordered to allow in, though they've failed to actually comply at this time, and more people are carrying guns than at any other point in our history. In raw numbers, possibly -maybe even likely- a higher percentage did so during earlier parts of our history as the land was colonized & the population expanded, but in recent decades, this is it. Most states have legal open carry, all states now have legal concealed carry 7 millions of us have permits & carry.

if the ready availability of guns was truly the problem some make it out to be, guns would be, by far, the singular leading instrument in the cause of deaths, yet they're not. not by a long shot.

by the anti-gunners logic, we *should* be reducing our population right & left, by massive numbers, but we're not. accidental gun deaths are the lowest since we started keep track of them. ALL violent crime is way down, including gun crimes. The majority of gun crimes are related to gang & drug activity. these are people misbehaving in violently criminal ways & they'd be doing that regardless of any gun laws on the books. what they do with guns is already illegal & most or all of them are already prohibited under current laws from possessing guns but that hasn't stopped them. being criminals & all, they're just honey badgers & don't give a ****.

and now, maybe some of them will take up spear guns & pole spears...

I'm not quite sure you get the point of his post...

I don't think so, but feel free to enlighten me. How is this NOT a straw man attack at the stereotypical 'hoplophobe'?

nevermind... I'm just feeding a troll...

Last edited:
You are hereby nominated for the most blatant straw man arguments of 2015. To perform on that level really takes skills, do you give classes?

I would never leave my .30-06 unsupervised and unlocked, particularly with live ammo close by. Not because I believe it's capable of killing someone by itself, but because it would be accessible for any child or nutbag that might happen to pass by. If you are representative for US gun nuts, it's no wonder you 'murricans have so many kids inadvertently getting hold of a gun and killing someone.

--
Sent from my Android phone
Typos are a feature, not a bug

Storker,
Ok, you are way to smart NOT to know that this post was a "construct"....a parable if you will :) , and that quite clearly, I did not actually do any of these things.
To be honest, unless you are jerking my chain, I am having a hard time believing that there could be anyone on Scubaboard, that would not know that this was meant to be a parable. .

And just so you understand me.... At no time did I ever leave a 30-06 in my doorway....this was only a fictitious story, written to get a point across :) I really should not have to ruin it by having to respond to you like this.

Storker,
Ok, you are way to smart NOT to know that this post was a "construct"....a parable if you will :) , and that quite clearly, I did not actually do any of these things.
To be honest, unless you are jerking my chain, I am having a hard time believing that there could be anyone on Scubaboard, that would not know that this was meant to be a parable. .

And just so you understand me.... At no time did I ever leave a 30-06 in my doorway....this was only a fictitious story, written to get a point across :) I really should not have to ruin it by having to respond to you like this.

I KNEW you were lying! What gun did you leave at the doorway?

I KNEW you were lying! What gun did you leave at the doorway?

Not an antique with an 100 year old cartridge design. Now it it was one of those evil black guns in .223 or .308, maybe it would have loaded itself and fired on its own. You can never trust a gun with a high capacity mag!

Storker,
Ok, you are way to smart NOT to know that this post was a "construct"....a parable if you will :)

No sh!t, Sherlock?

--

---------- Post added January 20th, 2015 at 04:06 AM ----------

Not an antique with an 100 year old cartridge design.

Don't dis the .30-06. It's a quite beautiful round, almost as pretty as its European older brethren, the 6.5x55 and the 8x57IS.

The .308 is just a .30-06 that had its growth stunted, and the .223 is a midget which is only useful for sensible stuff if you get a gun with a 1:8" barrel twist.

--

Who is this moron? He face looks astonishingly like that of a typical embalmed corpse. Just looking at him speaking gives me the creeps. He should get back in his casket, close his eyes and lie still.

I'm a defender of the Second Amendment, but this guy is so moronically simplistic and so historically incorrect that his speech could easily be transposed to Saturday Night Live. An real embarrassment.

That was terribly good!! I thought he looked like a mannequin but an embalmed corps is probably more realistic.

Frank G
Z GEAR - Z Gear

Don't dis the .30-06. It's a quite beautiful round, almost as pretty as its European older brethren, the 6.5x55 and the 8x57IS.

The .308 is just a .30-06 that had its growth stunted, and the .223 is a midget which is only useful for sensible stuff if you get a gun with a 1:8" barrel twist.

It was a marvel for early 1900's, just as was Browns 1911. Both best in category and both had a long and useful life. Very few technological inventions have anywhere close to the lifespan. Both also supplanted eventually by better designs once the armed forces figure out most shooting is done at closes distances and in a tactical world more, smaller rounds in a smaller package are better system. Combined with the better smokeless powders and better bullet design, the extra size is now a negative, kind of like driving a 1970' muscle car. Is it a cool toy, hell yes. A great feeling of nostalgia, fun to work with and it will get the job down. Not so practical nor efficient.

When I was a kid, growing up in the country in Western NY, we had miles of fields just a few hundred yards from our house, where we would ride horses.....And in one area, that we could see eaily from the much higher ground of where the house sat on this big hill, you could see Woodchucks .....If you have horses, you know that woodchuck holes can kill a horse, should they step in one at a trot or faster....so woodchucks were evil....Varmint Cong..... So my Dad has a .222 with a scope, and would often see the woodchucks in some part of the field, take aim, and at 300 yards or 400 yards, you would see the woodchuck flip up in the air, spin, and come down quite dead....

So then a family friend, Dr Cole, brings over this African Safari Lion gun ( a 30.06)during a Saturday afternoon with the families together( this was around 1968)....the gun was from an Africa trip he had just been on...
And then, they see Woodchucks in the field....
So Dr Cole lines up, and the next thing you know, fire comes out of the barrel, the blast noise made the .222 sound like a be be gun.....and The woodchuck does NOT get spun around.....it disintegrates....and is spread over about 30 feet with only the tiniest of pieces to distinguish that there may have been a woodchuck before :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom