Spear gun and pole spear as a self defense weapon?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

...as we got to diving the 165 foot stuff, and then the deeper stuff in the early nineties, that "fight" with the fish was becoming a problem,

I agree but from a different angle. At the 165 depths, that micro-bubble formation is incredibly fast even if you are relaxed & not spearing. But have a massive fight for 5 minutes and there is no computer program (not even DecoPlanner) that can accurately calculate the increase bubble formation because your work load just went 10 times up. If you are spearing at that depth, you most likely are on air cause Helium is too expensive and no fish is going to bring in that many dollars to pay for the gas. Not using a PPD at those depths is just too risky a chance for a chamber ride. In Jupiter, we lift our fish, let the captain deal with it and minimizes the shark issues.

Tasteful, really tasteful.

(stooping to the same level)
I imagine that the victims in Newtown, Blacksburg, or Littleton wished desperately that their killers didn't have so easy access to the guns they used for their killing rampages.
(OK, done with the tasteless rhetoric)

Actually, you're wrong. I'm a Virginia Tech Alumni. I was there through two different campus-wide shutdowns. I lived through the aftermath of the big shooting there. I wake up depressed automatically on every 4/16. I'll tell you that some people wish that guns were outlawed. However, most of us FIRMLY believe that had students and teachers been allowed to carry their own guns, the shooting would've been MUCH less bad. What's funny is that if you look through the list of the four mass shootings mentioned (Charlie Habdo, Newtown, Virginia Tech, and Columbine) are all 100% "gun-free" zones. The Aurora shooting was in the only "no concealed weapons" theater in the area (Colorado "Dark Knight" theater shooting).

Unfortunately I can't claim Alumni status, changed curriculum and schools the second year. But loved the school and its beautiful campus. Of course, I do predate you by...a few years.:D

Lazy Gun

Today I swung my front door wide open and placed my Remington 30.06 right in the doorway. I left 6 cartridges beside it, then left it alone and went about my business.

While I was gone, the mailman delivered my mail, the neighbor boy across the street mowed the yard, a girl walked her dog down the street,
and quite a few cars stopped at the stop sign near the front of my house.

After about an hour, I checked on the gun. It was still sitting there, right where I had left it. It hadn't moved itself outside. It certainly hadn't killed
anyone, even though it was presented with numerous opportunities to do so.

In fact, it hadn't even loaded itself.

Well, you can imagine my surprise, with all the hype by the Left and the Media about how dangerous guns are and how they kill people.
Either the media is wrong or I'm in possession of the laziest gun in the world.

The United States is 3rd in Murders throughout the World.

However, if you take out just 4 cities: Chicago, Detroit, Washington, DC and New Orleans, the United States is 4th from the bottom, in the entire world, for Murders.

These 4 Cities also have the toughest Gun Control Laws in the U. S.
ALL 4 of these cities are controlled by Democrats.

It would be absurd to draw any conclusions from this data - right?

Well, I'm off to check on my spoons. I hear they're making people fat.

Today I swung my front door wide open and placed my Remington 30.06 right in the doorway. I left 6 cartridges beside it, then left it alone and went about my business.

While I was gone, the mailman delivered my mail, the neighbor boy across the street mowed the yard, a girl walked her dog down the street,
and quite a few cars stopped at the stop sign near the front of my house.

After about an hour, I checked on the gun. It was still sitting there, right where I had left it. It hadn't moved itself outside. It certainly hadn't killed
anyone, even though it was presented with numerous opportunities to do so.

In fact, it hadn't even loaded itself.

Well, you can imagine my surprise, with all the hype by the Left and the Media about how dangerous guns are and how they kill people.

You are hereby nominated for the most blatant straw man arguments of 2015. To perform on that level really takes skills, do you give classes?

I would never leave my .30-06 unsupervised and unlocked, particularly with live ammo close by. Not because I believe it's capable of killing someone by itself, but because it would be accessible for any child or nutbag that might happen to pass by. If you are representative for US gun nuts, it's no wonder you 'murricans have so many kids inadvertently getting hold of a gun and killing someone.

--
Sent from my Android phone
Typos are a feature, not a bug

You are hereby nominated for the most blatant straw man arguments of 2015. To perform on that level really takes skills, do you give classes?

I would never leave my .30-06 unsupervised and unlocked, particularly with live ammo close by. Not because I believe it's capable of killing someone by itself, but because it would be accessible for any child or nutbag that might happen to pass by. If you are representative for US gun nuts, it's no wonder you 'murricans have so many kids inadvertently getting hold of a gun and killing someone.

--
Sent from my Android phone
Typos are a feature, not a bug
Seriously? I'm not quite sure you get the point of his post...

Back
Top Bottom