spare camera?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

catherine96821:
oops

(do o rings need to "rest" and have the pressure relieved in between dives?)

I pull the o-rings between dive trips, or each night while on a dive trip. And the housing is stored without the o-rings. But on a boat the last thing I want to do is open up my housing unless absolutely necessary. The boats are smaller here on the lakes so it's a bit of a hassle trying to keep everything dry and clean on a boat.

Also, with two cameras you're lessening the 'Murphy's Law' effect. Things have a tendency to go wrong more often when we're least prepared.

One other thing, a friend who recently flooded their SP-350 in Bonaire picked up another one from Costco after I told her about the deal I saw posted by a SB'er. So thanks. She got it a couple days ago and spent $100 less than the first one she bought. This board is great!

The world is not waiting for my next great underwater photograph to appear. If I have a flood, there is always another trip to Bonaire in a few months. I would delay that purchase until I had dual strobes, a good focus light, etc. That said, if you are traveling half way around the world at great expense to take underwater photos, it would be foolish not to spare everything you can afford.

After reading all the posts so far ...the strongest argument in favor of a spare camera is the whole obsolescence thing. Cameras go off the market ...housings get discontinued.

Like someone else said ...if you've already made the investment in the housing and you like and are comforable with your current camera it's not such a bad idea to have a back-up.

I don't have one at the moment but I'm giving it serious thought.

'Slogger

Footslogger:
After reading all the posts so far ...the strongest argument in favor of a spare camera is the whole obsolescence thing. Cameras go off the market ...housings get discontinued.

Like someone else said ...if you've already made the investment in the housing and you like and are comforable with your current camera it's not such a bad idea to have a back-up.

I don't have one at the moment but I'm giving it serious thought.

'Slogger

:no Don't wait too long. Once a camera is discontinued and the street inventory is depleted it becomes an overpriced item on eBAy.

catherine96821:
oops

(do o rings need to "rest" and have the pressure relieved in between dives?)

78.gif

The only thing that needs rest around here is me :D

As for taking the orings out that it is not needed. I work with underwater electrical equipment some housed in glass and some housed in titanium all with orings. This equipment goes to depths of 3000m to the surface daily. It is well known that if you don't have a problem dont open anything, when you open something you are taking a chance that it will not seal. Sometimes we will not use a piece of equipment for months and still not open it, when its time to put it back in the water we look at the seal and send it down. When floods cost anywhere from $5,000 to $100,000 not counting downtime you learn quick not to take too many chances. But they do happen and that is why I have ordered my spare SP-350.

Buy two if you can.

When I chose my underwater set up, I purchased two additional cameras and I will probably buy two more before they stop making them.

Jeff

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom