Spare Air

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

awap:
Unfortunately, there are some divers who would look at their (primary) SPG and see they are "low" but decide to continue the dive because they "have a redundant air source". A spare air or pony can make some folks stupid to the point where they continue a dive that they would have otherwise ended.

But I NEVER do that. I always start back up at 500 to 700 PSI -- the deeper the dive, the higher my PSI trigger. I consider my redundant air source as just that -- something I never really plan to use -- so it doesn't affect the way I do my dive profile.

And since I only do NDC diving, deco stops are not an issue.

Equipment is no substitute for skill and training. Equipment, in the abasnce of skill and training, leads to complacency. However, someone with skill and training and the right equipment has a decided advantage.

Thus, the bottom line question is: For someone who is not going to use a pony, is it benefit of having 3 cubic feet of redundant air outweighed by the complacency having it may cause? The answer is that it depends on one's skill and training.

awap-I have to say that I would in no way be stupid enough to start counting my emergency air supply as usable air for my dive.

Scuba_Steve:
Your highly competant,attentive, well skilled, thinking buddy has your reserve gas. He is cost-free and is more fun to dive with than your spare-air.

In some folks perception of an ideal world that may be the case, but in this real world that is not the case for a majority of folks who dive. If that is the case for you, then discussions of spare airs and ponies are irrelevent. But if you are among the majority of divers, then discussions of redundant air sources besides that which might be in the tank of your buddy for that dive (if there is one) are a valid consideration.

I have real sympathy for those divers who travel to dive and are paired with instabuddies. I, too, travel to dive and the closest diving is 250 miles away. I don't agree with the choice of "Spare Air" over a 19 cube pony.

If I were in a position of not having a regular buddy and diving fairly deep, I would consider taking Advanced Nitrox and Deco Procedures even if I had no intention of "technical diving." You will learn self-sufficiency, redundancy, equipment configuration including a single deco bottle (which can be applied to a pony bottle), alternative propulsion techniques and better bouyancy and trim. You don't have to take these courses in double cylinders either. You will come out of it as a much more confident diver who doesn't have worry about the question of "pony vs. spare air."

Look, I'm a small, middle-aged woman and if I can learn to dive with 2 stage bottles, you bigger and stronger guys can learn to handle a bigger pony, configured properly and deployed safely. It's really not that hard to dive with an AL 80 slung on the left side and those tanks are available everywhere.

DivingDoc:
But I NEVER do that. I always start back up at 500 to 700 PSI -- the deeper the dive, the higher my PSI trigger. I consider my redundant air source as just that -- something I never really plan to use -- so it doesn't affect the way I do my dive profile.

That is basically the way it should be although some divers might "start back up" with a bit more than 500 to 700 PSI for deeper dives. If you plan your redundant gas supply in reverse, starting from the end of your ascent and working back down, you will develop a better understanding of what a given redundant supply may do for you. Then you can decide if your redundant supply, your ascent plan, your planned depth, and your risk tolerances are compatible.

awap:
In some folks perception of an ideal world that may be the case, but in this real world that is not the case for a majority of folks who dive. If that is the case for you, then discussions of spare airs and ponies are irrelevent. But if you are among the majority of divers, then discussions of redundant air sources besides that which might be in the tank of your buddy for that dive (if there is one) are a valid consideration.

Well dude, unless I missed it he never said he didn't have a buddy to dive with.

I guess your best answer then, is given based on the assumption that he does not.

Do the rest of the community a favor and stop countering basic dive principals of always diving with a buddy. If scuba is the social activity it is suppose to be, then he should have no problem doing what he was taught to do. You giving him poor advice by not giving him sound advice is doing nothing but enforcing bad practices it seems like he is already doing well enough already.

I don't know what planet you're on, but a majority of people I know all have ready buddies that they dive with fairly often.

It's unfortunate your aim isn't set a little higher with respect to proper procedure and fostering education to that end.

regards

rexman24:
Ok so if your debating its better to have a pony bottle or EAS I agree, but not that its better to have no independent air source at all.

I've done single tank solo dives with no additional gas redudancy before. I fail to see how a spare air would have made me any safer. A slung pony would have actually made me safer since in the event of a freeflow on my backgas I could have gone to the pony, shut down the backgas and then either fixed the problem or surfaced with a safe ascent. Unless you have zero concept of gas management and find yourself constantly surprised that you are sucking your tank dry, the spare air doesn't really even assist in any emergency situations.

Scuba_Steve:
I don't know what planet you're on, but a majority of people I know all have ready buddies that they dive with fairly often.

If you have to drive a considerable distance or fly to dive, you tend to dive in locations where a buddy may be absent. I've don't think I've been on a boat in Florida without someone being paired up by a DM. In the SE USA, Florida is local diving and it means at least an overnight trip.

lamont:
...A slung pony would have actually made me safer since in the event of a freeflow on my backgas I could have gone to the pony, shut down the backgas and then either fixed the problem or surfaced with a safe ascent...

I'm a bit lost. Sure a pony would have let you do that...and easily. But, why wouldn't a Spare Air have enabled you to do the safe ascent bit ... assuming you were not beyond 60 feet deep?

Back
Top Bottom