Spare Air

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DivingDoc

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Has anyone actually tried to ascend from 130 fsw using only their spare air?? What is the depth below which people feel you should use a pony instead of a Spare Air as an independant alternate air source?

Diving Doc

The only time i ever had to use mine was from 80 feet and i used about 3/4 of it. I would recomend a pony bottle

But if you only used 3/4 or it from 80 feet -- that was a succes, right? It's only a failure if you used it all up and still had more feet to ascend from, right?

There was someone else on the board who, as an experiment tried an ascent with their Spare Air. I'll look for it but if I remember correctly, they did not get too many breaths off of it.

They claim 3.0 CF - 50 Breaths at the surface. What's your SAC rate? Use the average depth of 75 ft and figure it out your self.

For me, with a SAC of 0.5, I'd get about 1.8 minutes out of a spare air (at 75 feet). That means that I'd have to ascend at about 70 ft/min for it to work. If I made a controlled ascent at 30 ft/min (without doing the calculus) I'd make it to not quite 85 ft. before I ran dry.

IMHO: Waste of time. Waste of money. Dangerous as hell. Only useful for getting out of a helicopter that goes down over water.

I've often wondered if a better application of spare air would be an extra few breaths to make it to your buddy in case of seperation. Not that I would ever use Spare Air or advocate the use, but just a thought....

A spare air is better than nothing ... which is why I've started carrying one. It will get me to my buddy at any depth at which I will dive. It will get me to the surface from most depths at which I will dive. I have no intention of schlepping a pony for any "normal" rec diving.

where do you carry it Bruce? Do you have the big one or the small one?

Diver Dennis:
There was someone else on the board who, as an experiment tried an ascent with their Spare Air. I'll look for it but if I remember correctly, they did not get too many breaths off of it.
It was me... I tested a 3 cf spare air at 30 FSW, and sucked it dry in 3 1/2 minutes - in a relaxed state - 22 breaths. Do the math. There won't be much air in your spare air at 130'

If you're diving to 130' and relying on a spare air, so that you can stay down longer... either get a bigger tank, or don't stay down so long.

TheRedHead:
I've often wondered if a better application of spare air would be an extra few breaths to make it to your buddy in case of seperation. Not that I would ever use Spare Air or advocate the use, but just a thought....
I would imagine that if you tried this, the average diver would be in a panic - "find my buddy" mode, and waste precious gas for a somewhat speedy ascent.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom