Spare Air Regulator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

paxtang

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello, I just purchased an older spare air that was used only
a couple times and then sat for a few years.The reg seems to be
a tad stuck.. the first couple breaths were very had to extract
and thne when in broke loose there was a loud vibrating noise..
after a few of those the noise stopped but its still hard to breathe..
Seems to be loosening up a bit but is there anything I can do to
adjust or clean it for smooth operation? Thanks alot.

is there anything I can do to
adjust or clean it for smooth operation?

Are you sure you want an answer to that question from those on this board?:D

Let the horse beating begin.

Honestly, spare air's were never noted for being easy breathing and by the time up pay for parts and labor, you can buy another used one on Ebay.

So the hard breathing is normal operation then? I dont think I got hurt, its the 2.7 Cf at 3000psi and I gave $60 for it..

So the hard breathing is normal operation then? I dont think I got hurt, its the 2.7 Cf at 3000psi and I gave $60 for it..

Take it to a shop and have someone experienced look at it.

You paid too much but, if $60 will hurt, you picked the wrong hobby.

Before you get the wrong idea; My name is Bob and I own a Spare Air. I picked it up in '93 and carried it on beach dives. The problem I ran into was that it picked up sand in the water which made it leak air after use so I had to take it apart and clean it after every dive so I quit taking it. It still works. They breathe a bit hard but it sounds like yours needs a good cleaning. Also, did you vis the inside of the bottle, thats 3000# you have in your mitt!

I am a mechanic / tech kind of guy, so I'll take anything apart clean it put it back together and test. I don't try adjusting till I figure how it works or find a manual. As with most equipment cleaning solves a lot, if unusual wear or something broken is found I take it to a professional after reassembly, they appreciate not getting a box of parts.

I'm not advocating anyone repairing their own gear, I just work on mine. Use the wisdom of Harry Callahan " Know your limitations".

Bob
--------------------------
YOU ONLY NEED TWO TOOLS IN LIFE - WD-40 AND DUCT TAPE. IF IT DOESN'T MOVE AND SHOULD, USE THE WD-40. IF IT SHOULDN'T MOVE AND DOES, USE THE DUCT TAPE.

Last edited:
Thanks guys, no I dont plan on running out of air, actually I dont plan on even taking it on dives.. I just got it as a "toy" I do alot of boating and swimming too.. thought it would be fun for free dives or just having extra time to "hide" or get away from the kids while swimming.. maybe quick boat repairs/ dropped item retrieval.. etc.. this is not a dive tool for me. and wow.. 60 bucks was too much? I tried to win one on ebay first and they all go for around $150.. some dont even have the fill adapter included.. I thought i got a steal..If anyone would like to sell one for less than $60 I will buy all you have ;o)

I think the 60 being to much was meant more as a Joke. Too much meaning you should not have never even bought it as it as it's a waste of money and for just about as much you can get a real "Spare Air" Aluminm 30-40 or even little smaller for around what people spend on those things. Literally at depth you may be get a breath or two from them. and are usually not worth even carrying.

Back
Top Bottom