Spare Air / Pony Tanks - Real life stories ??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't own a pony or spare air, but I WOULD (cash and time permitting). I know they look goofy and all but I believe in TRYING to be ready for ANY instance. I mind my air and come back with 500 psi, but there MAY come a time when a pony might come in handy ( I can't THINK of when, but there MIGHT BE). Just my 2 cents also.

In 1978 or around that time, I ran out of air while diving the wall off Cat Cay (ok, honestly the gauge showed 200 lbs and the reg was still breathing). When it stopped breathing it was still deeper than I could have made a free ascent. While equipment and ideas available back then were different, doubles were an option, but this was just going to be a "bounce". I was diving a steel 72 and a apprx. 6cu.ft. pony. During that time it was normal to dive w/o an octo., so the pony was "really taking precautions". A couple of weeks before this dive, Ed the owner of the dive shop I frequented gave me this pony tank...a gift!
Bottom line: I really got narced and scr*wed up, past where you'd expect a second chance. The pony tank was my second chance.
If I were to do a deep dive again (not likely), I would definitely undergo modern technical training. Still, at this time, I can see a place for a pony during deeper recreational dives.

I bought a SpareAir once, I wanted to go out to the Middle Grounds and this shop in Tampa that I took the charter with insisted on one so I bought the smallest one they had. I am not sure where it is now, that would have been around 92? maybe.

I did use that Spare Air once. I used to dive the Blue Hole at Itchetucknee in Florida back around 1970. It is a beautiful spring. They closed it to diving (though sometimes they allow cavers). Anyways, they do allow snorkeling. The flow out of the chimney is awesome. It was about 15 years ago, at the time I had no problem free diving 60 plus feet. I tucked the little Spare Air in my swimsuit and a weight belt with a single 3 lb. lead and took off. I hyperventilated until I was dizzy and then went for it. I got to max speed and then tucked into the chimney and been swimming for all I was worth plus a few hand grabs and then I was through the current and in the main chamber. It was so beautiful with the sun overhead sending a laser like shaft of light downward. I followed. It was about that time I remembered I was getting somewhat ready for a breath of air so out came the Spare Air. I took a few breaths, took another look around to implant the picture in my memory and then let the current carry me up. I recall, I think I may have taken another breath just before the chimney, not sure. I remember, my time down was nearly five minutes and I hit around 60 feet give or take. A lovely dive as I recall. N

I liked the little double Spare Air they made. Dunno if it is still available. Man, what a waste of time. The normal one gives you sod all in a normal breathing scenario, never mind panicked, but the doubles version wasn't much better. Still, it looked kind of cool attached to the back of my two-year-old godchild for a photo! Baby doubles – ace!

The only use I found for a Spare Air when I had one on test (a nitrox one, no less!), was to breathe through it while dealing with a particularly bad nappy change of the afore-mentioned godchild. Now that's what they should be marketed it for!!!

Mark

A fellow I know is currently serving in Iraq. He bought one for himself and one for his driver. He got them when the Hummers going into canals was in the news and a soldier drowned. Thankfully, they were never used........

I have successfully passed off a slung 40 cu ft pony to a diver at 70' who had a freeflow that wouldn't stop. The 40 cu ft gave us plenty of time to shut down the tank, and try to stop the free flow. It didn't stop, so we made our slow ascent 3 minute safety stop and exited the water.

ArcticDiver:
Spare Air in specific? I can't say I've ever seen anyone with one, except on that Hawaii Lifeguard show. But, I have seen some ponies down in the 6cf range.
Kalvyn and I once saw an entire class wearing them on little hip holsters. Apparently it was an AOW class, and the instructor had convinced every single one of them that they absolutely needed this device in order to safely do a deep dive ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

MarkMarshall:
In 1978 or around that time, I ran out of air while diving the wall off Cat Cay (ok, honestly the gauge showed 200 lbs and the reg was still breathing). When it stopped breathing it was still deeper than I could have made a free ascent. While equipment and ideas available back then were different, doubles were an option, but this was just going to be a "bounce". I was diving a steel 72 and a apprx. 6cu.ft. pony. During that time it was normal to dive w/o an octo., so the pony was "really taking precautions". A couple of weeks before this dive, Ed the owner of the dive shop I frequented gave me this pony tank...a gift!
Bottom line: I really got narced and scr*wed up, past where you'd expect a second chance. The pony tank was my second chance.
If I were to do a deep dive again (not likely), I would definitely undergo modern technical training. Still, at this time, I can see a place for a pony during deeper recreational dives.

Glad you're still here to post... do you know how deep you were?

Rob

JeffG:
The reason they make it is so that they charge more money to the super idiots that would actually buy it.

OK I called Spare Air and asked what the difference with the two versions is. They said the Nitrox unit uses Crystal Lube instead of food-grade silicon, and there is a sticker on it. I asked if that means it is oxygen compatible, they said "No", you can only fill it from premixed Nitrox up to 40%, and if you ever mix it with air, it will be contaminated. The guy said really, it's ... "because some people are sticklers for keeping everything the same. A lot of people end up putting regular air in it, and if it were mine, I'd just get the Air unit, because when you need it, it doesn't matter what is in it. Some people who dive Nitrox all the time might want to get it."

So...the only logical conclusion is............

Crystal Lube must be really expensive!!!

Well, I'm not going to admit that Jeff was right :wink:

Rob

Crystal Lube is VERY pricey.

C-11, I think it is...

stable at a wide range of temperatures, it does not change properties.

I think it is an aerospace product.

Yea, annoying that Jeff is usually (always?) right....that's why they call him Ace. Even the DIR people can't handle it...and they like being right.

Nemrod, sounds like a memorable dive. maybe I will wip mine out of the closet and get creative.

Thanks Rob,
I'm glad to be here too!
I was really lucky that time!
Not sure if it's the correct thing to post the numbers on that dive as much as I would like to. With the current availability of technical training and systems, there is really no valid reason for taking the risks of deep air these days (In retrospect, plain dumb.).
While not a substitute for proper gas management and equipment maintainence, I believe that a 6 cu ft or larger pony (depending on personal breathing) could be a very nice item to have on a deeper recreational dive. If only for peace of mind. For anything deeper than recreational, I don't think that a pony is the way.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom