Spanish Treasure of a sort??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jwvanno

Contributor
Reaction score
While MD'ing an area in the Melbourne area, I found what turned out to be a seven link chain embedded in a piece of Coquina on the beach.

I think it has to be quite old, due to the coquina that had built up around it. (Spanish shipwreck old??) As I started cleaning the encrustation off it, I thought it was silver, because the metal was quite bright grey. Now, I've come to the realization that it's iron.

(I shouldn't have touched it with a magnet! I should have held my fantasy of discovering a Spanish chain. :) )

At this moment, I have it submerged in vegetable oil. My thoughts were that it won't react with the metal at all, until I can figure out how to preserve it.

Soooo...

Can anyone guide me to a source of information about preserving iron that has been submerged in seawater? Any help will be appreciated!!

Back
Top Bottom