spanish rocks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diver4life

Contributor
Reaction score
Well we finally got wet today after getting all of our own gear. Had a great time but we were wondering how everyone does this dive. We swam southwest from the parking lot to I guess the first reef? Didn't seem like that much but maybe we were in the wrong area. Does everyone swim north or south once they reach the reef? We were pretty far out and the reef ? was spotty here and there. But maybe thats how it is I don't know. Any how it was just great to finally get wet with our own gear. Can't wait to meet a lot of you on this site.
Regards,
Doug and Vanessa

When you walk out of the parking lot onto the beach, go left. Walk until you get to the 6th house. It will be a square looking house with a bunch of windows. That should be your starting point. From there, just swim directly out. It is about 125yds out depending on the tide. When you are on the top of the water, you will be able to look down and see the darkness of the reef. It is about 20ft down.

Good luck.
J.R.

Sounds like you didn't swim far enough south. Don't be mistaken it's not like you are diving in the Keys or West Palm but there is some life on it. Next time walk down and then swim out. It will be much easier to find the right spot.

JR and Git R are right on the mark. JR and I hit the rocks a few weeks ago and we caught it at low tide and it cut about 30 yds off our surface swim. This may not sound like much but when you are fighting the incoming tide and surface waves of 2-3' every stroke counts. This is a good "confidence" dive and you are bound to see a number of fish, crabs etc. Since you are between 15-20' and depending on your breathing you should be able to get about 1.5-2 hrs from a bottle.

If you find yourselves heading out there again hit me up I am always looking for bottom time and to meet other members.

Scott

We were probally out around 200 yards but maybe a little north of that house. Does this area extend far north or more south? Looking forward to going again.
Regards,
Doug

I believe it runs more to the south. Once you hit it the first time you will be able to get there again. I agree with liberty 6 that this dive is great to build your skills up. I have personally seen quite a bit of life inluding a rather large Sea Turtle.

Sounds like you may have been a little North but no worries. Use the house that JR described as your reference. If you drift a bit south that will get you over the "rocks" and onto the site. Once there, if you stay in one spot long enough the fish will come to check you out. Also, of interest, the scuba shop right across the street from the beach refills bottles for $3 each if you need more air.

No Bubbles, No Troubles

Scott

If you use the house I described, you will have no problems finding it. It is the easiest way to stay on course. Next time you are thinking of heading down, let me know. I would be up for a little bottom time.

J.R.

Ok,
thanks guys.
Regards,
Doug

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom