SP MK17 vs MK14

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaMilo:
DA Aquamaster wrote:
What does not make sense to me is Scubapro's planned introduction of the Mk 11 - a new unsealed diaphragm design. From what I have heard so far, the price difference between the Mk 11 and Mk 17 would be very small, so why would anyone opt for a Mk 11?

Very true with only $40.00 difference seperating the mk11($193.00) retail price from the mk17($233.00) retail price for first stages only. it would be sad to see anyone not paying the difference to get one of the best new regs availiable. IMO (mk11 looks like a very slightly remodelded mk16).

Following this question, can't think of much reason either... maybe it has to do with the coming market in the future??? -- if the volume of Mk17 Scubapro made is not huge and Scubapro has already got enough feedback from the market for making the next generation sealed product, then this combination can be served for product differentiation -- Mk11 for regular non sealed reg. provided for the customers that "doesn't have the need", they still want something with them with a lower price, Mk17 would be replaced by another new Mk sealed product, probably with a number > 25.

Unlike the domestic market, what I have heard is that, LDS in other countries would order in bulk for the latest product (to lower the cost). Few of them would stock older products for the customers to choose from. Because of the cost of shipping, if any oversea customers wanted to get any old product, they have to pay extra for the shipping. This can be a large portion of the cost.

If the market for the sealed product is there (tested by Mk17), there could be more people willing to buy a new sealed first stage.

Greg Barlow:
Apeks uses a metal air barrel in the second stage. This is a BIG plus over the plastic air barrel that ScubaPro has gone to to make the bean counters happy. This is NO reason for ScubaPro to do so. There is a valid reason why Atomic and Apeks still use metal in this part, and that is its thermal benefits.

If ScubaPro really wants to build a cold water reg that can compete against Apeks then they should go back to the original design, along with the new sealed diaphragm first stage.

When I started diving back in the 70's with unsealed diaphragm first stages and all metal second stages, free flows were about as rare as hen's teeth. With my Mares and Apeks regs I have never had one hint of a free flow, and most of my dives are in water colder than 45 degrees. Heck, last week I dove in 38 degree water with my MR12 Akros regs (on doubles, and unsealed) and they worked great. Come to think of it....The only free flows that I have seen with my dive buddies are from those divers using "high performance" balanced piston first stages. When you move air volumes of that magnitude there is a lot of temperature drop in a first stage.

Me? I'll stick to the balanced diaprhragm with their lowly flow rates of 140-180 cubic feet per minute. Considering that second stages generally don't flow more than 70cfm, that is more than enough for me and a buddy.

Greg Barlow
Former Science Editor for Rodale's Scuba Diving Magazine

Oh, that's the reason, the metal air barrel contributed the thermal advantage....

Didn't really keep track, and not an expert at all, but I have an impression that, Scubapro always wanted to try different materials to lower the weight for people who prefers that, is that the reason? Al, then plastic etc...

Just if, hypothesis, if Mk17 is selling. Would Apeks try to lower the price, just for the sake of keeping the status of the number one sealed product?

To me, what I can see is that, the sealed feature is important, but something equally important could be the flexibiliity of just buying the 1st stage/2nd stage independently. Yes, I can do that online, I know. But price-wise, I can always get a set of Apeks 1st stage + 2nd stage with a lower price from certain LDS. Are there any reason for Apeks not to?

Then something very important is the maintainence (including convenience to get spare parts) availability over the world. Esp. imprtant for people who would dive at different sites around the world. Then of course, the cost.

ScubaMilo:
I've been diving mk20 and mk25 first stages as long as I've been diving never had a problem with the turret failing. I would say I am hard to very hard on my gear but do keep up on regular service. I think the mk 17 will be a great addition to the scubapro line up. Although I do not see it totally replacing the mk25 any time soon.

Yes, how long is the usual product cycle for regulator, i.e. after Mk17, how long would it take for the next sealed product to come out?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom