SP Air 2 vs. Tusa Duo Air

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

stevetim

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I just bought a Tusa Duo Air inflator/octo combo. I was looking at the ScubaPro catalogue and noticed that the Air 2 inflator/octo was virtually identical to the Duo Air. Does anyone know if they are under the same manufacturing umbrella, or just happen to look 95% identical?

I was reading the info on the Air 2 and read that ScubaPro invented the first inflator/octo. If so could they lend the design patents to Tusa?

They are identical (apart from button shape/minor cosmetic differences). I believe Tabata manufactured (Scubapro designed) AIR 2s and started producing the Duo Air after the exclusive right expired. Some TUSA (Tabata USA) regs are also rebranded Scubapros.

Scubapro designs regulators but then farms out the actual production of them to Tabata. This makes a lot of economic sense as it would cost a lot of money to set up tooling and manufacturing facilities that would then be under utilized by only one company.

Tabata has traditionally had licensing arrangements with SP to produce them for sale through TUSA once any exclusive rights expire. The SP MK 5 is a good example as it was produced for years and contnuied to be sold by TUSA as the TR-400 long after SP dropped the reg from it's line. The Mk 16 is another example of a design that has also been widely marketed by TUSA.

The Duo Air is a 3rd gen Air 2 internally with cosmetic changes to the case and buttons. You can use the Air 2 service kit in one with no problems.

Thanks for the quick and informative replies guys.

The Scubapro Mk 5 debuted at the end of 1971. I bought one in 1972. Tabata didn't come on the scene for about 10 more years, as a mask and fins specialty company. Many other companies also copied this classic regulator... Tekna, Seapro, Oceanic, Submarex, SAS... I can't remember them all.

Licensing of products by one company to another is common these days.

TUSA has been a front runner in the rubber goods business for over 20 years. They have since bought gauges and computers from Suunto and regulators from Scubapro and Oceanic.

These AIRs have obviously been made by the same company for about 8 or more years.

Tabata is not and has never been a regulator company.

Chad

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom