Southwest To Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I wonder how agreeable they are about rebooking stranded passengers. I'd really hate to sit around all day in Houston waiting for their other plane, if space available.
I've got a close friend who raves about Southwest. Between TIA and wherever he goes in NY all the time, they've given him great service. Including accommodating changes like that. Hopefully they'll be good for you Texans as well. I disagree with my friend, though. I've only flown SW once while on a business trip and I vastly prefer experience American provides, even if Southwest is a little cheaper.

We love Southwest. We were flying AirTran for a while before SW bought them out to start their international business. We have been using the BWI CUN non-stop since. There was a little confusion in the whole SW boarding process in Cancun for a while, but they got it figured out. Then there was the SSSSS on the boarding pass which means YOU are getting the secondary screening at the gate. And by you I mean its always me... Now they have that mostly fixed. They call the SSSSS people to go up and get checked during the pre-boarders so you don't lose your place in line. That's nice.

SW also has the companion pass, which I think is generally considered the best deal in rewards. I stick EVERYTHING on a SW CC. I even stick relative's bills on it. My MIL give me one check a month and I have ALL her recurring bill on it. Upside is the companion pass lets the missus fly free and only pay taxes. That includes if I fly free on points. It pretty cool. They got Hawaii on the routes now. I would have to overnight in San Jose, but it looked like I could go from BWI to Hawaii for like 800 more or less for both of us.

And 2 checked bags free. I dont remember a flight with people fighting for overhead space or gate checking bags. That's nice.

The free changes are awesome too. One time I had like 6-8 of us going to Coz, via CUN. Coordinating schedules was a bear. We were able to change the flights twice as everyone cleared their schedule for a long trip.

I had a trial get scheduled and screwed my plan one time. So I rebooked mine to go after the trial week and sent the rest on ahead. Then the guy plead. Called SW up and moved my flight to the next day. Caught the Mayair, and a taxi to Money Bar and hid behind a menu and plant in the corner after arranging to have it suggested to the missus that they go there for the post dive lunch. I sat there whatsapping her asking what she was doing and asking for pictures. She got suspicious. It was a hoot. She hates surprises, but hey I enjoyed it.

And ALL of that was free. I even got some refunds when the new flight was cheaper.

I, by rule, hate flying all the way west to Texas to come east to Cozumel as opposed to non-stop to CUN, but I am reconsidering with SW. Looks like an extra 2 hours travel, vs CUN, van and ferry. (I dont count missing the ferry and having to wait against the bag drag time. Drinking beer in Senor Frogs while I wait doesn't count, I figure.)

Oh sure seating is a little communist on SW. Everyone line up by number! The seats are all the same EXCEPT the left exit row. You have to get over the agony of picking a seat in a hurry. But now that I realize if it ain't the exit row, nothing matters, its easier than picking seat on some other airline while consulting seat guru and trying to decide is economy plus (some pigs are more equal) worth it or I should just spend 12 dollars for the seat not near the bathroom....

And a drinky-poo is 2 bucks cheaper than American. Just saying.

Now @scubatree has some deal worked out where they get to use the King's or President's or Emperor's lounge on American in TX with massage, hot towels, facials, manipedis, etc etc. Then they fly in some sort of barco lounger seats where they can barely reach each other and get served a fancy breakfast with I think a omelet guy who comes to their seats and makes it or something. But for us ordinary people SW is great.

Gee this got kinda long. But I do LUV Southwest....

I've only flown SW once while on a business trip and I vastly prefer experience American provides, even if Southwest is a little cheaper.
Yeah, they were fun when they started in Texas. President Herb would only hire pretty young women to work the counters and as FAs, and hot pants were encouraged. I dated one once, flew to Dallas with her for the company Xmas party, met him. He was as drunk as I was.

Yeah, they were fun when they started in Texas. President Herb would only hire pretty young women to work the counters and as FAs, and hot pants were encouraged. I dated one once, flew to Dallas with her for the company Xmas party, met him. He was as drunk as I was.
That wasn't quite what I meant, I'm sure you already knew that. That stuff apparently ended before I had the means to buy airline tickets.

Basically, that whole process @cvchief described. Either you love it, as cvchief does or you hate it as I do. I like nothing less than things to be "up in the air" on a travel day (well except for the plane it-self lol). I thought the "southwest lineup" was just a gimmick. I'd like to have everything sorted out and paid for well in advance. I'm a fat dude, so I like some extra room. Not an option on SW unless I deal with an exit row.. which those usually don't have storage for your second carry-on.

So a quick search shows Dallas Love Field to CZM would be 508 RT with a stop in Hou Hobby… Non stop direct from DFW to CZM is 583… Not worth the time and stress to save $75 IMO. I’d just wait until Sun Country starts back up in June, which typically runs 385-400

So a quick search shows Dallas Love Field to CZM would be 508 RT with a stop in Hou Hobby… Non stop direct from DFW to CZM is 583… Not worth the time and stress to save $75 IMO. I’d just wait until Sun Country starts back up in June, which typically runs 385-400
Results are going to vary. $383 is possible in April.

upload_2019-9-27_10-38-34.png

That wasn't quite what I meant, I'm sure you already knew that. That stuff apparently ended before I had the means to buy airline tickets.

Basically, that whole process @cvchief described. Either you love it, as cvchief does or you hate it as I do. I like nothing less than things to be "up in the air" on a travel day (well except for the plane it-self lol). I thought the "southwest lineup" was just a gimmick. I'd like to have everything sorted out and paid for well in advance. I'm a fat dude, so I like some extra room. Not an option on SW unless I deal with an exit row.. which those usually don't have storage for your second carry-on.

I have a card to the portly club too. That being said, let me correct a couple things:

1. Once you realize all the seat EXCEPT 3 on the left side of the isle are truly better, you can STOP worrying about it. I was EXACTLY like you. Fear gripped me when I stepped into the cabin in a moving line and had to pick a seat on the fly. Truly terrifying. However now, it only can I get to the exit row? If not, sit me #$%% down because nothing else matter. I will note there are two exit rows on the right. They do NOT have much if any more leg room than the regular seats. The only possible advantage is the first exit row has only 2 seats, so if you are couple you do not have to share. BFD. The second left exit row has three seats, so the window seat does in fact have NOTHING in front of it. So it has a @#$@$ ton of leg room. Don't get exited though. It also has the tray table in the arm, so the seat is a tidge narrower. There for as well, you cannot raise the arm and invade your wife's seat as I usually do..... So we are back to beyond the 3 seats on the left nothing matter. Breath deep, relax, and go for it. We are all in this together comrade, its all sorted out. You don't have to pay extra for some seat someone convinced you was better. Seriously, I bought my nephew tickets on AA for a trip to Coz as when he chose to go, SW was full enough to be REALLY expensive. Tell me why this seat is $2 more than that seat? Seriously? Now tape your number on you head and get in line.

2. There is absolutely nothing weird about overhead space above the exit row. And there is no fighting for it, because we don't pay for bags. No cheap SOB trying to shove a 50# @DandyDon sized bag in the overhead while an attendant with sticks in her hair looks on. But I get it, no one wants to pay for bags after they had to pay for a seat. Even a not special seat.....

3. Seatwise, we have 31-32 degrees of pitch and 17 inches of leg room. (17.8 on the MAX which a, isnt flying... and I think contributes to a small spike in prices...) You got what on American? As little as 16.6 inch and 30 in pitch. 16.6? That should be criminal. "oh but for a small addtional fee you can be more equal in economy an extra inch.' Boo I say. Boo! Oh sure you can plug your devices in, but that for the unprepared. Charge your darn laptop before you leave. We don't need no stinkin' charging ports....

Together....

poster-depicting-karl-marx-friedrich-engels-and-lenin-unknown.jpg

(Exit row pic....)

No cheap SOB trying to shove a 50# @DandyDon sized bag in the overhead while an attendant with sticks in her hair looks on.
Sticks? The FAs primary job is safety, and I appreciate them. I try to be respectful, staying awake for the briefing even if I know it by heart, noting where the exits are, and remaining awake until well into the air, and not bothering them unless really needed. I don't expect them to help with luggage challenges. If there is a bag taking too much room in the overhead, I move it and place mine next to it. BTW, exit row passengers can grab any overhead bin, so grab one in front of your seat that you can watch from your seat so that no one steals it leaving the plane. We tend to think that overhead space is for the people directly underneath, and I almost got into a heated challenge with a guy who stuck his in forward then went back to his seat, but there are no rules about those.

If I ever have to exit a plane in an emergency, I'd better not see anyone grabbing more than a purse and backpack to take with them. I'll take time to fight anyone pulling a roll-on toward the slide.

I live in Houston. Mostly fly United because of the nature of my destinations, but I fly Southwest often to Dallas, Midland, etc.

Yes, SWA is a little different, but it's a great airline. Their people are top notch. It's the only airline where I feel like nearly everyone there gives a s@%t. Except for some pricing, it has nothing in common with other low cost carriers and even though I have have most of my status/miles on United, I'd far rather fly SWA to CZM.

United sucks like any major. It was a real bummer that the United corporate culture survived the Continental merger. You can tell in about 1 minute whether you have a legacy Continental crew on your flight or not. No offense to my friends from the Windy City, but if you screw up Whataburger the way you screwed up Continental, I'm gonna be mad.

Thank God we still have SWA.

Sticks? The FAs primary job is safety, and I appreciate them. I try to be respectful, staying awake for the briefing even if I know it by heart, noting where the exits are, and remaining awake until well into the air, and not bothering them unless really needed. I don't expect them to help with luggage challenges. If there is a bag taking too much room in the overhead, I move it and place mine next to it. BTW, exit row passengers can grab any overhead bin, so grab one in front of your seat that you can watch from your seat so that no one steals it leaving the plane. We tend to think that overhead space is for the people directly underneath, and I almost got into a heated challenge with a guy who stuck his in forward then went back to his seat, but there are no rules about those.

If I ever have to exit a plane in an emergency, I'd better not see anyone grabbing more than a purse and backpack to take with them. I'll take time to fight anyone pulling a roll-on toward the slide.

Just for clarity, I was referring to a that someone might put overhead a @DandyDon checked bag size.

And I LOVE the Southwest Staff. They are generally all super terrific. In fact, I always bring them a little something by way of thanks. And I do pay attention to as not to be rude. I always tell them you say the word and point and I will throw anyone out the emergency exit for you.

As to the overhead space at the exit row, I just didn't get why it was every any different than any other seat? Is that a thing?
(Except on SW you ain't fighting the guy with the @DandyDon checked bag size for the overhead. Its free. check it.)

THIS is what happens when you you have to pay for checked bags:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom