Southwest Florida, Port Charlotte area diving.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MarineVet32935

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Originally, Melbourne, FL. Now in the foothills of
# of dives
I plan to relocate to the Ft Myers, Punta Gorda area and was wondering what kind of diving can be done there. I've never dived the west coast at all, so I'm really just a babe in the woods.:14:

Lots of great diving 20+ miles off shore, not many charters. There are some sites you can reach from shore. When you move down, we'll show you some good spots.

There's a lot of diving close to here, but it's not like the keys. Vis in the gulf is lower, no reefs like the other coast. The comparison I like to make is that the keys/other coast is like a zoo, over here it's like the jungle.

The dives range from a simple sharks' tooth dive at Venice beach, to diving with old hitler in Boca Grande pass. Most of the dives are shallow, from 15' to around 60', unless you go waay out (to somewhere like the Bayronto), although I did hit 81' at Boca Grande pass.

If you like to spearfish, this is the location.

It may or may not be a good investment. Most divers mistakenly think the diving in the Gulf isn't any good. If you can get over that issue, you might make money.

Viz is usually not as good in the Gulf, but I've seen better viz in the Gulf than I've ever seen on the east coast or the Keys.

There are lots of wrecks, artifical reefs and some deep holes.

I've done all kinds of diving. Caves and caverns in north central Florida, the Keys a lot and the east coast a whole lot. I can probably write a book on beach dive sites from Sebastian to WPB. Beach dives with surf can make for some "blind man groping" kind of dives. Diving in strong currents between the Keys, we called "Gorilla Diving", because you had to have some strong legs and arms to pull yourself along the bottom. I love lobstering, spearfishing and free diving for both.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom