South Florida hydro shop review

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JahJahwarrior

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Wanted to write a quick review of a local hydro shop I tried out for the first time recently, Welcome to Total Tank Service. I was pleasantly surprised by the service I received.

I've been watching this guy post on Craigslist for a while now, and I typically don't like dive shops that advertise on Craigslist. But, turns out this guy isn't a dive shop, he just does hydros and fills, and he's dirt cheap!

His charge for hydro, vip and air fill is $20, cheaper than a hydro at most fire extinguisher shops I've been quoted as a walk in customer!

His shop, which is shared with a guy who builds custom fishing rods and stainless steel fillet tables, is tucked in by BassPro in Fort Lauderdale. He keeps odd hours as this is a second job/business for him, but he's flexible and replies quickly to texts or emails.

What really surprised me when I picked the tanks up was the color print out reports from VisualPlus and a PSI form. He indicated that he could get a report from the hydro shop as well but that he didn't typically ask for it unless the tank failed, and he showed me the form from a 6351 tank that had failed hydro.

I've been taking tanks to Dave Zappala in central Florida for years, but this guy is half the price, and the service still seems good.

I have no comment about his tumbling or o2 cleaning services, but for hydro, he seems like a great, value priced option.

Wanted to write a quick review of a local hydro shop I tried out for the first time recently, Welcome to Total Tank Service. I was pleasantly surprised by the service I received.

I've been watching this guy post on Craigslist for a while now, and I typically don't like dive shops that advertise on Craigslist. But, turns out this guy isn't a dive shop, he just does hydros and fills, and he's dirt cheap!

His charge for hydro, vip and air fill is $20, cheaper than a hydro at most fire extinguisher shops I've been quoted as a walk in customer!

His shop, which is shared with a guy who builds custom fishing rods and stainless steel fillet tables, is tucked in by BassPro in Fort Lauderdale. He keeps odd hours as this is a second job/business for him, but he's flexible and replies quickly to texts or emails.

What really surprised me when I picked the tanks up was the color print out reports from VisualPlus and a PSI form. He indicated that he could get a report from the hydro shop as well but that he didn't typically ask for it unless the tank failed, and he showed me the form from a 6351 tank that had failed hydro.

I've been taking tanks to Dave Zappala in central Florida for years, but this guy is half the price, and the service still seems good.

I have no comment about his tumbling or o2 cleaning services, but for hydro, he seems like a great, value priced option.

thanxs for the report, thats a great price. we get raped here, $38(takes 4-5 days), and there the only shop in the upper keys that does hydros that i know of,,,

reefman
key largo

Faa -- locally they HAMMER me for hydro's. THey get me for a Hydro. Cleaning, Vip, and Fill I beleive last time it was $80.00 for my Steel 100

They demand a cleaning with a hydro -- which at first I balked at but actually that Hydro water is not "clean".

He keeps odd hours as this is a second job/business for him, but he's flexible and replies quickly to texts or emails.

Well I sent the guy an email at 10:26 this morning with no reply yet, a bit discouraging, however I haven't given up hope yet.

The extinguisher shop I've gone to charges $25 for one and $40 for two. He's not allowed to place an inspection sticker on the tank but he does stamp it (company policy) but he inspects them and leaves the rest up to you. (I have some fake stickers which I print a bogus Florida name and address. Works for me.)My air fills I get at the local volunteer fire department for free.

$20 for a hydro is pretty amazing. I get a pretty good price on my hydros now and I don't need the VIP sticker, but it's still more than $20. I hope this guy stays in bidness.

Brain, with all the money you're going to save now on hydros, you oughta buy my boat so I can build a new one. With it, you would be the unalloyed King of Weston, and all the minions and acolytes down there would kowtow to the KOW while you towed.

Well I finally got a reply back at 1553 and the email was to the point and answered my questions, don't see any reason for not giving him a try for the price...:)

I think he works a primary job with odd hours, so I wouldn't expect an immediate email response. I think he lists a phone number, you can text or call. That's what I did to get in touch with him quickly. When I dropped the tanks off, we miscommunicated about the time, and when I gave him a call he apologized for the mixup and sped over to meet me in about 15 minutes on a Sunday evening.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom