Source for CO "bump" (calibration) gas in Mexico?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mstevens

Toadfish. Splendid is implied but not guaranteed.
Reaction score
We have a cootwo analyzer that lives in Mexico and is due for carbon monoxide calibration. In order to do this I need a standardized reference gas. OxyCheq has a nice, inexpensive calibration gas available, but that is not the sort of thing I would want to try to transport on an airliner, nor would I want to ask someone to transport something like that for me. Simply ordering it from OxyCheq for delivery in Mexico isn't a good option due to very high freight charges.

Can anyone give me a pointer to a source for carbon monoxide calibration gas within Mexico?

If you're happy to reject any tank that displays any reading of carbon monoxide, you can "cheat" and exhale into the analyzer during the calibration. Your exhaled breath will have some component of carbon monoxide, even higher if you're a smoker. It will not be accurate beyond 0ppm, but if you're the type of person that will reject any CO present, it will still register the presence or lack of CO.

Basically, get a smoker to have a cigarette, hit calibrate, and get them to blow into the analyzer during the calibration routine.

All it needs to know is what CO looks like, and it will tell you either yay or nay. It WILL NOT be accurate for amount, but it will confirm or deny the presence of CO.

This can get you through in a pinch until you can get some bump gas. Your best source would be a welding supplier. Praxair has a place in Playa.

TIENDA PRAXAIR PLAYA DEL CARMEN
Av. Juárez Esq. Calle 55 Mz 1 Lt 7, Col. Ejidal
Playa del Carmen, Quintana Roo 77710

Maybe you should ask in the DiveNav part of the forum.

For the calibration you need 10, 20 or 30ppm Carbonmonoxide. For welding they use much higher concentrations.

Can you get the COOTwo back to US, calibrate it at home and take it back to Mexiko?

Maybe you should ask in the DiveNav part of the forum.

I don't think I'd expect DiveNav to know what's available in Mexico.

For the calibration you need 10, 20 or 30ppm Carbonmonoxide. For welding they use much higher concentrations.

Great point.

Can you get the COOTwo back to US, calibrate it at home and take it back to Mexiko?

Mail on Cozumel is far too unreliable. Delivery service like FedEx or DHL are expensive. Might end up having to do that, though.

I don't think I'd expect DiveNav to know what's available in Mexico.

My thought was there are other mexikan DiveNav customers

Do you know any people that make holidays and can bring it to you or at least to US and send it by mail to you?

If you are on Cozumel what about Merdiano's fill station. Scuba tanks are just a sideline business for him from my understanding. He is the equivalent of the Mexican Airgas. You will probably need someone fluent in Spanish but they might be able to help you out.

Do you know any people that make holidays and can bring it to you or at least to US and send it by mail to you?

Mail does not work well here. I really doubt airlines want pressurized cylinders of CO in their holds. For even small bailout air cylinders, they want the valve out of the cylinder - I don't think they're going to be more comfortable with CO than with air.

If you are on Cozumel what about Merdiano's fill station. Scuba tanks are just a sideline business for him from my understanding. He is the equivalent of the Mexican Airgas. You will probably need someone fluent in Spanish but they might be able to help you out.

I'll check with Meridiano 87.

That would be a heck of a sideline.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom