Source for 20 foot LP hose / in water oxygen Deco

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well hoochie gucci fiorucci mama

Here's what I breathed from between dives for years and years and years

CAMERA SNAPS!!! 847.JPG

And I still do, sort of, emergency only, the current O2 reg is only 40 yrs old
and also the supply bottle was one of my girlfriends air brushing air supply

50% -100% current underwater things

CAMERA SNAPS!!! 867.JPG

Do you like the pillar valve with taped thread

I used to understand stuff, but I don't understand anything anymore, but I suppose if
I really think about it it's better than not having understood anything in the first place

It's great you had an idea. Its not ideal though and MANY people here are offering better alternatives but you're just doubling down on your poor idea. :/
OK...will start here..."poor Idea", really?...no it is not....no different than any system that uses 100% oxygen at a shallow safety/deco stop; done all the time folks, whether with a deco bottle tied off at safety stop depth or a hose with second stage at the safety stop....what I am setting up and asked help in finding the components is NOT a Hookah; Hookah involves the use of a topside compressor [See 5.13 NOAA Dive Manual 4th], I only will use an Oxygen cylinder topside...next....the depth of safety/decompression stops DECREASES with altitude [see 4.1 NOAA Dive Manual 4th]...at 6K altitude a 20fsw stop would be done at 16ffw....not slamming anyone's knowledge or information, but only asking for sources for equipment I am looking for, hose sources were great and thanks...Nitrox gear is not 100% oxygen approved....will start with certified 100% oxygen gear and not attempt to clean non-certified gear...

I realize forums often degenerate into a belly bumping contentious "my way is right and yours is not"...I never claim to be an expert...diving was my profession with the use of CCR to Mark V but I know what I don't know and that is why I was asking for recommendations. I always consider that I could be wrong and do listen to input, but really folks dropping an LP hose with a second stage with 100% oxygen to a shallow safety/deco stop takes advantage of the "Oxygen Window" to lessen the probability of a DCS injury is a no brainer for me. Never said I was pushing NDL and Nitrox is not either feasible or desired for my use. Been there and the use of Nitrox or any gas mixture does not fit my needs. Compressed air, normoxic , works best for my dive profiles.

I will check back to see if any equipment recommendations that I asked for are posted but don't need to be lectured.

DSO

the depth of safety/decompression stops DECREASES with altitude [see 4.1 NOAA Dive Manual 4th]...at 6K altitude a 20fsw stop would be done at 16ffw
You are operating outside that table's scope of application. The point of the shallower safety stop at altitude is to maximize the off-gassing rate -- breathing air -- while maintaining the same risk of DCS (as you would have at sea level). When breathing oxygen, you already have the fastest off-gassing rate possible, and staying deeper has a lower risk of DCS (compared to sea-level). Basically a win-win. This should be balanced by CNS concerns, but if you were willing to tolerate 1.6 atm PO2 at sea level, I presume you'd be OK with it at altitude.

You are operating outside that table's scope of application. The point of the shallower safety stop at altitude is to maximize the off-gassing rate -- breathing air -- while maintaining the same risk of DCS (as you would have at sea level). When breathing oxygen, you already have the fastest off-gassing rate possible, and staying deeper has a lower risk of DCS (compared to sea-level). Basically a win-win. This should be balanced by CNS concerns, but if you were willing to tolerate 1.6 atm PO2 at sea level, I presume you'd be OK with it at altitude.
Thoughtful information, thanks. The reason of course for the shallower deco/safety stops at altitude is due to the less than 1ata at the surface once you surface....interesting twist if I took it as you described above...deeper use of 100% oxygen at deco/safety stop will indeed widen/increase the Oxygen Window and give greater protection against symptomatic or asymptomatic bubbling/tissue damage. Greater [deeper] the gradient with oxygen the greater the reduction of DCS; higher oxygen tensions short of acute oxygen toxicity the higher the benefit. Still TODs and altitude tables key to the reduced atm pressure once you surface, so doing deeper deco stops is a no no and if breathing oxygen it may or may not fit the tables. Sticking to deco/safety stop depths published [your choice which tables] for surface altitudes but breathing 100% oxygen at these stops gives the greatest benefit; as you say a 'win-win'. Assuming you are diving within NDL, there will only be a single "deco" stop at the prescribed "safety stop" depth. One in the same.

As an aside, 1.6ata limit on 100% oxygen is a very conservative pressure limit. But I intend to adhere to it; remember chamber treatments [Tables 4 and 6 for example] often use 100% oxygen from bibs for 20-25mins at 60fsw pressure with 5 min air breaks in between repeated oxygen periods. I am not recommending going anywhere near 4ata used in chamber; but depending on the individuals oxygen tolerance there was a long time past practice of limiting 100% oxygen to 2ata. Read some of the pioneer diver Hans Hass's oxygen rebreather adventures; way beyond my comfort zone but enlightening.

Also important to not mix recompression protocols with decompression protocols. As a solo diver decompression is my only option [every dive ascent is a decompression event] and any recompression treatment will be after the fact in a chamber.

Now any recommendations out there for a vendor selling 100% oxygen dive regulators and tank valves, valves that commercial gas companies will fill with 100% oxygen? Thanks.

Ha! Just saw the best way to protect my 'old bod' is to limit the nitrogen load....I agree and I will do that with the extra protection when using 100% oxygen as described...but you know staying shallow does not have the allure of going deep! I will trade off BT for Z.

DSO

... and have some on-deck scope ...
+1

Consider running the long LP (IP) oxygen hose to a (submerged) manifold that supports a couple of (or several) 2nd stages. Best (perhaps) if the manifold has a shut-off valve for each 2nd stage.

rx7diver

... what regulators would you recommend for this application?
Regarding overboard oxygen: I'm familiar with a Great Lakes op who used a K (or larger) bottle (CGA540 valve) of oxygen on the boat --> a commercial medical oxygen regulator --> long LP (IP) oxygen hose --> submerged manifold --> several LP (IP) regulator hoses. Each diver would bring his/her personal 2nd stage that the op would screw into the IP regulator hoses before charging and submerging the manifold. (I would always use one of my SP BA 2nd stages for this.)

Such a slick, no fuss system! Of course, this was used for planned deco diving (extended range diving), rather than as a prophylactic for recreational diving.

Note: Someone would need to monitor the medical oxygen regulator (to make sure the desired intermediate pressure was maintained) due to the changing number of divers simultaneously decompressing. (Sometimes there might be a single diver breathing off the system, which became a pair of divers simultaneously breathing off the system, which became more divers simultaneously breathing off the system, etc., as divers moved from their 30 ffw stop to the long, 20 ffw stop.)

rx7diver

Still curious why you wouldn't rather just hang a dedicated O2 bottle at 20 ft.? That seems easier to me than trying to piece together an on-boat rig with a 20-30 ft. custom hose. Since you already have a compressor and are filling your own tanks, it is not a stretch to purchase a booster pump and buy oxygen from a local supplier.

Since you already have a compressor and are filling your own tanks, it is not a stretch to purchase a booster pump and buy oxygen from a local supplier.
Or a home 02 concentrator and booster.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom