Source for 20 foot LP hose / in water oxygen Deco

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

why don't you want to use nitrox? is it just that your local shop is far away? if you already have your own compressor, nitrox sticking your own fills shouldn't be that hard.
Understood...for one reason I dive deep, but mostly I live and dive by the axiom, "keep it simple"...has worked for 69 years of diving... :cool:

The solution here is very simple, in fact way simpler than trying to build a hookah setup and breath pure O2 on a 20-25ft hose.

Build a nitrox stick for your compressor. It will allow you to easily blend Nitrox 32-36% with ease. You do not need to worry about a dive shop and there is no need to O2 clean your tanks since the tanks themselves will never see pure O2. You already own a compressor; This is honestly the easiest approach.

Depending on your depth, dive Nitrox 32-36% for all your dives and set your computer to something conservative or dive air profiles with nitrox (making sure not to exceed the MOD of the mixture itself)

If you want to breath pure O2 for decompression/safety stop then I cannot see anything wrong with that (provided you have the training and/or understanding) however If you are just doing NDL (no decompression limit) dives there is no need to over complicate it.

What are the average depths that you will be diving? What are your anticipated dive times?

Originally I thought you were just trying to build an emergency oxygen setup for a boat to hang at 20ft which is common on some Great Lakes charters. This setup more or less involves an large oxygen cylinder on a boat with a 25ft hose for emergency decompression.

Understood...for one reason I dive deep, but mostly I live and dive by the axiom, "keep it simple"...has worked for 69 years of diving... :cool:
With respect, building a nitrox stick and diving nitrox is far simpler than building an O2 hookah rig. I'd just like to understand your potential application/usage better for the rig that you're hoping to build.

With respect, building a nitrox stick and diving nitrox is far simpler than building an O2 hookah rig. I'd just like to understand your potential application/usage better for the rig that you're hoping to build.
I never described or asked for information concerning a Hookah rig....this is a simple safety stop use of 100% oxygen....only involves a few pieces of gear; a second stage scuba reg at 20fsw or shallower at altitude, a 20+foot LP hose [Intermediate Pressure] to a surface oxygen bottle...not at all a Hookah rig or Brownie’s THIRD LUNG™ - Tankless Dive Systems rig...Why? Look up "Oxygen Window" the increase in gas tension at greater than 1ata of oxygen increases removal of nitrogen nuclei, bubbles and reduces chance of them forming before you surface ..all within the NDL.

Diving compressed air is 'far simpler' than diving Nitrox and has fewer limitations...I have done both for years and no longer want the complication or limits of Nitrox.

Please, anyone using this setup recommend a regulator and oxygen tank valve that you have found works...thanks for any answers.

I am trying to source [where to buy] a 20 foot LP hose for 100 oxygen use as a safety stop decompression adjunct ["oxygen window"]....could not find on forum a detailed thread describing setup and sources for reg/hose/tank..any information appreciated....

DSO
You could just do 2x the shallow time. That is roughly equal to doing your safety stop on O2 and saves you a whole lot of hassle and risk.

Also diving nitrox less than the NDL instead of right up against an air NDL

a second stage scuba reg at 20fsw or shallower at altitude
You also have the altitude dependency backwards: PO2 of 1.6 atm is had at 20 fsw and 27 ffw (6000 ft alt).

I never described or asked for information concerning a Hookah rig....this is a simple safety stop use of 100% oxygen....only involves a few pieces of gear; a second stage scuba reg at 20fsw or shallower at altitude, a 20+foot LP hose [Intermediate Pressure] to a surface oxygen bottle...not at all a Hookah rig or Brownie’s THIRD LUNG™ - Tankless Dive Systems rig...Why? Look up "Oxygen Window" the increase in gas tension at greater than 1ata of oxygen increases removal of nitrogen nuclei, bubbles and reduces chance of them forming before you surface ..all within the NDL.

Diving compressed air is 'far simpler' than diving Nitrox and has fewer limitations...I have done both for years and no longer want the complication or limits of Nitrox.

Please, anyone using this setup recommend a regulator and oxygen tank valve that you have found works...thanks for any answers.
It's great you had an idea. Its not ideal though and MANY people here are offering better alternatives but you're just doubling down on your poor idea. :/

Lots of good ideas..but the nearest dive shop is 4 hours drive each way....I am nitrox certified, but no desire to dive nitrox or place to fill bottle, I have my own MCH-6 compressor [air]...oxygen cert? I was a DAN oxygen instructor if that is what you mean...what regulators would you recommend for this application?

Thanks for suggestions and your time...

DSO

I think you should listen to the other folks on this thread. Underwater use of 100% O2 is not something to undertake lightly, especially solo.

However, if you still want to set up for 100% using a scuba regulator (perhaps for surface use), you should start with some info on O2 cleaning. If you go this route, it's probably best to purchase a Nitrox Ready reg and dedicate it for this usage. Any "Nitrox Ready" reg will work, you should never be using it below 20' or while working so high performance is not a requirement.

As to obtaining O2. This comes up in aviation all the time. You can do your own searching, but maybe start with the following links. Since you do your own fills, I'm sure you can figure out how to transfill from a tank of welding O2 or rig up something if you can find a supplier who will agree to fill your scuba tank directly. Again, you will most likely want an appropriate dedicated tank and valve.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom