Sorry to insist: which red filter is best for GoPro 3....?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rcaqua

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Apologies for starting yet another post on this issue, but the very very (!) lengthy correspondence on other threads has made me more confused that when I started.

Which companies currently make red filters for the hero 3 gopro black and what would experts among you recommend.....?

Many thanks for your patience.

Best,

Rene

Had the same problem, I went with SRP Blurfix3 because results videos look good and you can use other 55mm standard filters with it, and it is removable if you get shallow

Main ones are polarpro $30 backscatter $50 SRP $88 the first two work well down to 60 feet the SRP you can push a bit more
polarpro and backscatter have more magenta and give slightly better results in greenish water, the SRP is more suited to a variety of situation
There is not much in it they are all removable so depending on how much you want to spend you have choice

Read and learn Grasshoppa.

Fiddling with a camera doing "someones" settings at 60 foot deep take your focus off of "staying alive"

Thanks to dyvingpirate and interceptor for their kind and concise advice, most helpful.

Not a clue what Rockyheap was trying to say, must be my feeble command of the language. Liked his video, though...

RA

I use www.eelvision.com filters. I bought the blue filter when I should have bought the green filter (gulf of mexico) and they sent me a green filter for free! I also use their anti-fog strips. Highly recommend them on customer service alone.

unfortunately the only dive I used them I was victim of the gopro auto white balance issue, which made all video monochrome green. I haven't been able to dive since then, though I have a trip planned march 9th.

Thanks to dyvingpirate and interceptor for their kind and concise advice, most helpful.

Not a clue what Rockyheap was trying to say, must be my feeble command of the language. Liked his video, though...

RA

No worries RA, your worst day of understanding English is much better than my best day at French. Your country is very beautiful and people friendly as I have spent time there.

Comptez-vous faire de la plongée sous-marine cet été ?

(Rough English "After donning snorkels, masks, bodysuits, and oxygen tanks, we spent the day scuba diving in the ocean")

My concise advice was, to read and learn. I try to teach people to think for themselves as I'm a scuba instructor, and not to just give them the answer.

It is like your personal scuba mask, what fits me or other peoples heads, may not fit your own face. It is all a fit to your requirements. No one simple concise answer fits all.

Same with gopro Filters, or water environment you're diving in whether France, or Hawaii, or Tahiti.

There are many helpful friendly people here ready to guide you.

Thank you for your kind words regarding my Kona Hawaii Mini-Movie.

The Blurfix setup for the Go Pro's has the advantage of being able to use different color filters depending on what 'color' water you're diving. The CY filter should work well in clear blue waters. They have ones that work well in greenish waters too, but the cool part is that you just unscrew one and put the other on. The URPRO filters are not cheap, but they appear to be great quality. They're the ones I'll be buying this week.

Having said all that, your experiences may vary. But equipment-wise the Blurfix setup from SRP (Snake River Prototyping) looks to be a quality setup using quality parts.

Back
Top Bottom