Sorong transit - advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MA

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi,

I am like may others trying to negotiate the Indo internal flights.

I was hoping those who've made the trip out to Raja Ampat might be able to assist. Do you tend to arrive in Sorong the day of the liveaboard, and therefore taking risk of flight cancellations. Or is it best to stay a night in Sorong, to allow a day for any cancellations, and spend what sounds like won't be the best night in Sorong.

I am most likely flying Jakarta to Sorong.

Looking into this has made me think maybe Bunaken is a much easier option than RA......

Many Thanks!

MA

Manado is a much cheaper and easier option than RA.
I've not been to RA yet, but everything I've read from operators say to plan to arrive at least 1 day ahead of the liveaboard departure. This is due to the frequent delays and cancellations with flights.

Getting to Sorong from Jakarta is certainly doable.

But something to consider if you have the time and the budget: do both Norfth Sulawesi and RA.

Flying out of Jakarta, you have to fly either thru Ujung Pandang (Makassar) or Manado to get to Sorong anyway. I don't know what the diving is like in Makassar - in fact, I've never heard anything - but certainly there is decent diving out of Manado. Bunaken and Lembeh immediately come to mind.

Check into direct non-stop flights out of Manado to Sorong - Express Air and Lion Air are two airlines that flew that route when I did this in 2009.

I've traveled to Sorong twice - once out of Jakarta (2004), and as I said, once out of Manado in 2009. I guess I was lucky enough to get to Sorong on the same day and without delays both times.

My point is that if you are concerned about delays and missed connections, at least if you go to Manado first, dive in that area a few days, and can get a non-stop from there to Sorong a few days later, you will have reduced the chances of a delayed flight by half because you will be on only one flight instead of two.

Just did this transit in Nov. Lion/Wings flys Manado/Sorong but not every day. Or - Lion/Wings from Makassar/Ambon/Sorong. Great much in Ambon also. Purchase domestic ticket thru local agent - they can get cheaper fares then trying to book in US. I would avoid budget airlines. Garuda & Lion/Wings are most reliable.

Our liveaboard always recommend flights from Jakarta to Sorong (with a stopover usually in Makassar) because they are most reliable than from anywhere else. This has always been the case for flying to any remote area in Indonesia. Jakarta has many flight options to Sorong and they're all pretty reliable (though most people find that Merpati gets most delay and planes are old). If you have to get onto a different flight, you can always buy tickets at the airline ticket offices right at the airport (not open late night). You're also less likely to experience baggage being left behind because they use bigger planes from Jakarta.

Ps. Garuda doesn't fly to Sorong.

We flew into Sorong one time from Bali and had to overnight in Makassar. We spent one night in advance of the trip in Sorong. We did not like the overnight in Sorong!!!
I would not do this option again as it took FAR too long to get there! Most people on our cruise flew the day of into Sorong from Jakarta and had no problems. The second time (and most recent time) we flew from Jakarta to Ambon and stopped to mucK dive in Ambon. This was a great option to break up the long trip. We liked this much better. We flew from Ambon to RA and arrived the day of the trip with no problems. We are going back again this March and flying into Manado. We are overnighting in Manado and flying to Sorong the day of our cruise. We prefer this option rather than spending the night in Sorong. ( Sorong hotel had lots of smokers at the hotel which also had a car dealership in their lobby! Really! Also, there were lots of mosquitos in the lobby and that is where you ate dinner.) We will take our chances and hope for the best ! We have been to RA twice and Indonesia 7x and have taken many domestic flights and although they are often times late we only had one flight get cancelled. The boat got us on another flight pronto! As you can tell it is a huge pain to get to RA but totally worth it or we would not be going back for a third time!!!
Bunaken was nice but RA is in another world!!! Have fun !

MA:
Hi,

I am like may others trying to negotiate the Indo internal flights.

I was hoping those who've made the trip out to Raja Ampat might be able to assist. Do you tend to arrive in Sorong the day of the liveaboard, and therefore taking risk of flight cancellations. Or is it best to stay a night in Sorong, to allow a day for any cancellations, and spend what sounds like won't be the best night in Sorong.

I am most likely flying Jakarta to Sorong.

Looking into this has made me think maybe Bunaken is a much easier option than RA......

Many Thanks!

MA

What I always do is ask for the live aboard company to arrange my flights: in case of delays, it is their problem to resolve, not mine, and will ensure on the way in that they have to get me on the boat...

Bunaken ius easier to get to than Sorong but not a great deal easier. I've done two live-aboards in RA and never had a problem.

Bunaken provides good diving, but it doesn't compare to Raja Ampat in my opinion.

A very big thanks to all! My questions are answered and I've gone ahead and booked the international flights. No overnight in sorong, I was worroied about it so happy to get confirmation to avoid it. Also happy to hear the ra decision was a good one although I'm there will be those out there who prefer bunaken or others. Next time!

If anyone knows of a good agent to book the domestic flight that would be much appreciated. My boat does not seem to offer that service.

Cheers! Bring on mar/apr cannot wait!

MA

Try to get in touch with Andy from Maluku Divers in Ambon and see if he can help you with domestic flights or put you in touch with someone who does. He is the one who found us a replacement flight when ours was cancelled at the last minute. I am not sure if he is still doing this as it was for clients of the AA2. If you are interested in going a few days early you could stay at Maluku Divers Resort to unwind and get over your jet lag. Very cool muck diving there . In any case go to the Maluku Divers resort web page and see if there is contact info. for Andy( the owner)!! Also, the travel agents for Dancer Fleets book domestic Indonesian airfare as well. I think they use an Indonesian agent but they booked our flights the first time. I am not sure if they only do this for their clients but you could check it out. Hope this helps !

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom