soon to be SCUBA yaker

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Twisted Bones

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
So excited. Picked up my kayak today. Got a pretty good deal on a Perception Rambler 13.5. My intention was to buy a Malibu XL but with about twice the storage space, more weight capacity(550 lbs) and a sale on the Perception for $499. I went with the perception. I was looking at almost $900 for the Malibu. The savings gave me upgraded seats, camlock port, paddles and a bunch of attahment points for gear and so on. Now to spend the next few days on a local lake to get to know it unloaded and loaded before attempting the gulf. Have a few safety items to grab still but i can get those this weekend. Super jazzed. Will be looking fo someont to head out with soon.

Matt

Congrats Matt!! Welcome to the yak world!:D

Welcome Matt you're gonna be really amazing how quickly you will be in 30 foot of water from the beach.

very nice. How about some pics after you get it organized? Man I want to live down there!!! I am sure I would have my yak out there, and probably set up the seadoo as well.

OK so its set up. I am still working on a spare tank holder that I have high hopes for. Here is a short video of what I have so far. If you think of anything I missed or see something that's not right by all means speak up. I am into other folks ideas and input big time. I just uploaded the video so if the link does not work then give it a bit and try again.

Kayak - YouTube

Thanks

Matt

The tank holder looks interesting. How far below the bottom of the hull do the PVC pipes extend? Are you planning on using it instead of the well in the back or to carry two tanks? If you are going to carry two tanks you might want to consider storing one fore and one aft to more evenly distribute the weight but you will not know if you need to do that until you try it first.

The posts do not stick out the bottom at all due to the design of the scuppers. The holder is for one tank(spare) the other tank will be attached to my BCD up in the front.

Thanks

Matt.

They go through the scupper holes. They are only 1.5" into the holes. The scuppers on my yak are recessed by 4" on the bottom so in effect, the posts do not stick out the bottom. I also drilled 5/16" holes straight through the posts at the lip of the scupper holes so water can still drain. I will try and post up some pics of all this when it not only is finished, but also works correctly.

Matt

If you flip the kayak won't the tank and the rack just fall out?

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom