Sony hc7 or hvr-a1

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

skipper b

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Guys
Advise would be gratefully received.I am changing my camera and housing to
either a sony hc 7 in a bluefin hc7 housing or a sony hvr-a1 in a amphibico evo pro.
I have read so many pros and cons on both cameras and housings that i am struggling to decide.I know some of you guys have one of the above so you might be able to help.
Cheers (new guy to the site)

How easy or difficult is it to set one push manual white balance on each housing ? Do the housings have access to the same controls ?

I for one have not been very pleased with the HC-7 when used in our waters (vis generally 20-60 ft, plankton blooms, kelp forest shading). However I've seen great results in clear tropical waters and when I use it close-up with HID lights.

From what i`ve read it looks like you can access more controls on the L& M housing.
.Great video by the way ronscuba
Thanks pakman I`ll take a look.
Drbill this is what concerns me the reports are that the hc7 is not very good in low light but i don`t think the a1 is either and the a1 is now a 3 year old camera.What
housing are you useing with your hc7?

skip, I think both will have access to MWB and the usual electronic controls. The HC7 L&M will probably involve a few more steps whereas I think the MWB on the A1 in the Amphibico is a 1 button push process.

Here's a review of the A1 Amphibico Evo housing.
Amphibico EVO Review

Thanks pakman
I have read the review.I suppose what i was really trying to find out was if any body
had used both camers underwater and what opinions they had between a 1 year old consumer camera (hc7) and a 3 year old pro camera (a1) in that environment.I need to make a decision by monday as need to get one ordered, away beginning of feb

I'm using a Top Dawg (also by L&M but a low end housing) which is undoubtedly part of the problem since it cannot access MWB. However, I've also had problems with it topside not focusing well and not beginning to record for 8-10 sec after I press the record button (not good for action shots).

Thanks drbill
This is making my decision even harder.Has these problems been experienced by other
hc7 owners? Just out of curiosity have you tryed turning the auto shutter off,please don`t take offence to this suggestion if you have tryed it and it didn`t make any difference,I`m sure you have tryed lots of things
skip

my .02

I just watched the L&M video about the Bluefin HC7. I like the ability to access 80% of the touchscreen functions using their side mechanical controls. $3600 without an external monitor seems a little steep. Otoh, the HC7 is only $999 so you get some of that back.

The A1/HC1 is imho the best or second best single CMOS HDV camera Sony ever made. Camcorderinfo.com seems to agree with me, it's mentioned in their HC7 review. Of course I have one so I might be biased.

The thing I didn't like about the A1 was that for the higher price, the added XLR inputs were of no value underwater. Same sensor, same optics, just more in-camera options (24F etc.) I wish Sony would've put the assign button on the HC1.

Can you still even get an EVO PRO somewhere? Amphibico, B&H and others are now selling the EVO Elite HD which has the assign button control for the A1 and comes with a back mounted LCD. It's an SD not HD monitor though so good for framing but not so good for macro detail. And your hosed if it fails, - no viewport to see the A1U's viewfinder.

Thought about the Gates/HC7 combo? It allows you to see the LCD screen, MWB with their optional control and costs less than either of the others.

btw, I shoot an EVO/HC1. Have for a couple years now. It's been flawless..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom