Someone is cheating....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Crazy Crab Question!

I'm back down in FLORIDA now (YEAH BABY), but I've never hunted for the ELUSIVE BLUE CRAB!

SO, my question. No laughing. Do you need a license?

Thanks folks!

Blue crab are good but they are a lot of work for the meat you get. I'd just as soon buy a dozen they are pretty cheap. Now your stone crab... Those guys run ya anywhere from about $15 plb to $20. I'll get my own :cool2:

Just to re-iterate what Mike said, do not take the whole crab. They re-grow their claws.

Law states you can take both claws. People are divided on that subject though. If you leave the crab with a claw it can better defend itself and feed itself more readily. Therefore, grow a new claw quicker. If you take both claws the crab is still going to eat but not as much so it will take longer for it to re-grow its claws. It is up to you what you do. Either way, make sure you measure all claws and they are of legal size. Check this site for that info: FWC Saltwater Fishing Regulations - Recreational Stone Crabbing

The other school of thought is that if you take one claw, the crab behaves as if there is no problem and is "short-handed" in defending itself. If you take both claws, he knows he is at a disadvantage and stays out of dangerous situations as much as possible. The crab will not starve if he loses both claws.
My opinion is that the FWC would not allow the taking of both claws if there was any doubt as to their survival rate with both claws gone.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom