Someone dropped lead onto my tank....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reku

Contributor
Reaction score
Great Lakes + Northern Florida + Marsh Harbor
# of dives
5000 - ∞
So someone dropped a 4lb block of lead on to my tank and it left some pretty sizable marks. I'm going to get it viz'd ASAP - I was just curious about what you guys think? How screwed is this tank. It's a steel faber lp 85. This was it's first dive - it would be unfortunate to have to condemn it but it is what it is. Tanks are cheap considering everything else...

View media item 5View media item 3

As a certified VIP Inspector send the tank to me and I will condemn it.

Condemn it to a treatment with a green scrubbie to take the chunks of lead off and then I will dive it until it dies. Your Fine lead is softer then the steel worst it has is a chip in the paint/spray some zinc on it if the finished is chipped. If you are worried about that you are going to have a stroke when you get it back from hydro and see what the hydro stamp does to the finish.

Besides that is in some of the thickest metal of the tank. I would scrub / pick the lead off the tank before paying for a vis.

Damn! Just like getting the first scratch on the new car.

On the bright side, you can now relax and slam the tank around as much as you want...

Just be glad the weight hit your tank and not your head or fell onto your foot. Hard lead on a rocking boat tends to slide off the bench and break toes.

Dude I walked away for like 10mins and come back and someones like - hey ...uh my weight slipped out of my bag..... dropping weight on my foot sounds like a horrible experience.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom