Some Questions to Ask When Choosing an Instructor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would start with just talking with the instructor. Do they seem to be excited about it? Do you think you'll mesh with their personality/teaching style? My girlfriend (ok, I am a little biased) is very excited about teaching, and she wants you to be excited about learning. On the other hand, I have seen instructors that just consider teaching as just part of the job. I think this results in poorer teaching quality.

Next, ask about average class size. Many shops will offer large classes to keep the economics of it more affordable to the student. Yes, this can definitely affect the quality of the instruction based on the instructor and student(s). On the flip side, private classes are available for the one-on-one instruction and attention. You need to decide which works with your schedule and pocketbook.

Also, regarding large classes, do they have qualified assistants in the water? Do the qualified assistants just babysit or do they help with skills? Assistants that actually assist results in more personal training.

What diving has the instructor done outside of instructing? You want an instructor that has credibility. Granted, if you are taking your classes in Bonaire, don't expect your instructor to have Great Lakes' experience. On the flip side, if you are taking classes in Chicago but plan to travel to dive, your instructor will more than likely have Carribean experience.

Be wary of instructors with the minimum number of dives. These instructors may have gone from 0 to 100 during their "road to instructor" class. I have known a handful of instructors that have completed the instructor training, but still need to dive more to get the count higher to receive the instructor rating. As a bare minimum (in my opinion), the instructor should meet the minimum dives with just their fun dives.

One of the posts suggests asking the instructor if they have ever failed a student. This is a very telling question. If an instructor tells you NO then I would certianly question the instructors adherence to standards and your safety. There are those that try this sport that simply are not cut out for it as they are putting there own safety at risk, and any instructor that passes a student just becuase they can master most of the skills but have difficulty on some others should find ways to encourage the student to take more time practicing so that they are completey aware of why we teach this stuff.

I am an instructor myself and I have failed students for varying reasons including those that do pretty well in the but academically cannot grasp the full concepts of diving.

The key to being a good instructor is to take time and patience with studants and continually educate them, ask them questions when your on the boat or shore, get them thinking about the environments and conditions they are diving in and offer suggestions along the way. But at same point you have to ask yourself are you willing to let that studant loose in the water on thier own (with buddy) knowing that your not comfortable. I for one will not.

15 people in a class makes it very difficult provide quality instruction in the classroom the pool and especially opewater. My average class size ranges from 6 to 8 people. I should add that my wife and I teach together and we are both certified instructiors with active insurance. Most of the time we also have a certified assistant with the class as well.

The only thing I want to see 15 of underwater are sharks or manta rays. 2/3rds of the earth is covered with water, so spread the people out some. My typical class size is 4 people. I like to see OW ratios in the 2 or 3 range per instructor/assistant.

People shop on price then want to find the cheapest class that gets them out in two days, Oh I forgot, they want the best instruction possible. Some of these things are mutually exclusive. Don't be frivolous with your money, but don't skimp to the point when you need to be part of a 15 person class. I am not living off of Filet Mignon by being an instructor, the extra hundred bucks between being #14 or #4 may be worth it in the long run.

I think most of this post has had good answers. I wouldn't count certs, I also wouldn't count dives (so long as it's not the instructor's 101st dive).

Who were the last 4 students they had? Would you offer any of them up as a reference?

Who was the last student they failed to certify? Would they share their contact info?

When was the last time you spent extra pool / OW time with a student (With or without pay)?

When was the last time you dived outside of training? Do they still love to dive?

Do you dive for FUN with any of your students?

My 2 cents.

how about asking 'if i don't choose you, who is the 'second best' instructor in the area?'

i kinda like that one.

though i haven't chosen any of my instructors in any organized way. i've just been incredibly lucky! they have all been terrific.

Back
Top Bottom