some questions before i start

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

derekxec

Reaction score
me and a friend are looking into diving..we are looking to get the Open Water Cert. hes fit and im overweight (5'11 305lbs) is that going to be a problem? i snorkle just about every weekend and love it but want to hit up some deeper reefs (nothing deeper than 60ft) and not have to go down and come up all the time..also want to get into lobstering and spearfishing (but 90% of what ill be doing is diving just to look)

will me being overweight make me "not eligable" to be able to dive? i ask this because someone told me(someone who doesnt dive) that you need to be physically fit for it or its a no go

my mother has her open water cert but hasnt been diving for a few years so shes going to retake it with me

thanks for all the help/advice/suggestions/whatever you can give me

welcome Derekxec..... as a person who is also overweight i know that a number on the scale doesnt stop me from doing things things (ive hiked alaska, dived around the world ect) so go for it i say.

but i should mention, i took myself out of the water about 2yrs ago as i got too fat and i was just too concerned about the effects of diving on my body but now ive worked off 100lbs so im back in the water and loving it and with the more diving im doing the fitter im getting

but..... consider your health and also consider your buddys responsibility/ability to manage a situation if you should need any assistance (it can be as simple as needing help getting back into a boat)

1st step is your medical so listen to what the doc says.

cheers and goodluck!

Having poor cardiovascular health may cause you some problems (in diving as well as life in general).

One problem you may have is post-dive hikes up the beach, etc.. Getting your heartrate and blood pressure up after loading your tissues with inert gases is questionable.

However, so long as you take it easy you should be fine.

The fact that you regularly snorkel bodes well.

Some of the better divers I know are overweight, including one of my favorite dive buddies.

You need to be fit enough to swim or snorkel a few hundred yards continuously (but no speed requirement).

And you need to be healthy enough to meet the training agency criteria.
Several of the training agencies use the Medical Statement found at this site:
http://www.wrstc.com/downloads.php
You need to be healthy enough to either answer no to all the questions, or to be cleared for diving by a physician.

Unless you find a contra-indication, I say “go for it”.

can u scuba dive if your siezures are well controlled, only happen when you wake up in the morning, only last about 5 minutes,there is a warning like 5 to 10 minutes before the actual siezure, and i dont loose conciousness, my breathing stays normal My thinking isnt altered during most of the 5 minutes either.i also dont shake and have horrible convutions. just my right arm shakes a little. im quiet limber while i have them actually. I havent had a siezure in years to(but im on a very low dows of meds). if i had a helmet and maintained my breathing wouldnt i be safe

what im saying is do you think it would be safe enough

i can answer no to all of those questions...swimming is no problem as where i snorkle i have to swim against a strong current (inlet) nonstop the whole time (we usually spend 10-12 hours each day *friday saturday and sunday* of every weekend snorkling) my cardio is great but i figured being fat had something to do with not being able to dive but from the posts so far im wrong about what i was thinking

im fat because i cant keep off the sodas...if i didnt drink 3000-3500 calories in soda a day ide probably be skinny haha

thanks everyone!

No the weight will not be a problem. I have known many a diver much heavier then you.

There is no item on the medical waiver for weight, only medical problems. If you list any, you will have to go see a doctor and get him to sign off on it.

If you have to, get a doctor that is a diver. in 99 I needed a signoff for an instructors. The doctor I got was a diver,..oh,.. and about 250lbs overweight

scubaperro:
can u scuba dive if your siezures are well controlled, only happen when you wake up in the morning, only last about 5 minutes,there is a warning like 5 to 10 minutes before the actual siezure, and i dont loose conciousness, my breathing stays normal My thinking isnt altered during most of the 5 minutes either.i also dont shake and have horrible convutions. just my right arm shakes a little. im quiet limber while i have them actually. I havent had a siezure in years to(but im on a very low dows of meds). if i had a helmet and maintained my breathing wouldnt i be safe

what im saying is do you think it would be safe enough
You really need to start your own topic for this, instead of continuing to tack this question onto the ends of threads that others have started that have nothing to do with this. I'd suggest posting a new thread in the medical forum.

250lbs overweight! im 90lbs over but my weight fluctuates from 280-310 all the time

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom