Some questions about diving in the Monterey area.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sleepr

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Newly open water SSI certified diver, just hit 24th dive looking to do at least a day of diving in the Monterey area. I have done 10 dives in the warm waters of La Paz MX and 14 in the cold waters of our local meteor crater lake with 7mm or 5mm full wetsuit, hoods etc so I expect I should be able to handle the cooler temps of the bay area.

I`ll be in town for the MotoGP races at Laguna Seca and thought I might combine two passions. So I`m looking to dive either Wed the 21st or Thur the 22nd of July. My questions relate to the best way to maximize my fun factor. I will be looking to do some shore dives and wonder whether it would be worthwhile to spend the extra to get a guided tour from one of the local shops (suggestions welcome) or whether I should just try to find a buddy who knows the area to show me around?

I will be bringing all of my own gear, except weights, tank and wetsuit (mines a 5mm) so will need to rent the balance. From some of my reading of the forum it would appear weather conditions can play a role in this area a lot, do I need to worry dramatically about losing the opportunity to dive because of my limited schedule or is this more of a concern when it comes to site selection?
Thanks in advance for any advice.

Last edited:
Personally when I go somewhere i've never dove before I still hire a DM. Only because I want to go to the good spots and of course learn about any local hazards or whatnot. Plus the nice thing about diving somewhere new with a DM, they usually get you back to your starting point and don't get you lost :wink:.

That being said if MotoGP is in town those days I would go to the Point Lobos website and make a dive reservation there right now. If you only have 1 day to dive, thats where I would say you want to go.

https://www.pointlobos.org/DiveReservations.html

As far as shops, there are three I know of in the area. I would suggest Aquarius on Del Monte or Bamboo Reef on Lighthouse. Both shops are nice, have rental gear and I would guess be more than happy to offer a tour if you decide to go that route. If I had weekdays off id go to Lobos with you in a heartbeat!

Newly open water SSI certified diver, just hit 24th dive looking to do at least a day of diving in the Monterey area. I have done 10 dives in the warm waters of La Paz MX and 14 in the cold waters of our local meteor crater lake with 7mm or 5mm full wetsuit, hoods etc so I expect I should be able to handle the cooler temps of the bay area.

I`ll be in town for the MotoGP races at Laguna Seca and thought I might combine two passions. So I`m looking to dive either Wed the 21st or Thur the 22nd of July. My questions relate to the best way to maximize my fun factor. I will be looking to do some shore dives and wonder whether it would be worthwhile to spend the extra to get a guided tour from one of the local shops (suggestions welcome) or whether I should just try to find a buddy who knows the area to show me around?

I will be bringing all of my own gear, except weights, tank and wetsuit (mines a 5mm) so will need to rent the balance. From some of my reading of the forum it would appear weather conditions can play a role in this area a lot, do I need to worry dramatically about losing the opportunity to dive because of my limited schedule or is this more of a concern when it comes to site selection?
Thanks in advance for any advice.

Be sure to read this:

http://www.garlic.com/~triblet/ba_diving/newmontereydiver.html

Guy

Thanks again for the tips, looks like I'll be diving with someone from Bamboo Reef to show me around on Thur the 22nd. Looking forward to it!

Thanks again for the tips, looks like I'll be diving with someone from Bamboo Reef to show me around on Thur the 22nd. Looking forward to it!
Good choice! I also hired a guide for my first dive in the Monterey area, and went with some locals my first time to Pt. Lobos (which by the way is great!). I've since introduced another friend to Pt. Lobos when we were in the Bay Area for work.

I also dove Pt Lobos for the first time yesterday with my buddy - wonderful experience and can't wait to head out there again.

Good choice! I also hired a guide for my first dive in the Monterey area, and went with some locals my first time to Pt. Lobos (which by the way is great!). I've since introduced another friend to Pt. Lobos when we were in the Bay Area for work.

I also dove Pt Lobos for the first time yesterday with my buddy - wonderful experience and can't wait to head out there again.

It's great to hear that you guys had great dives there... we all enjoy hearing about good diving... how about a full report?

Thanks again for the advice all. Had a great couple of dives with Preston from Bamboo Reef, we dove the breakwater, managed to see quite a few Decorator and Moss crabs. Saw my first few types of nudibranches, a juvenile cabezon, lots of perch. Really enjoyed the sand dabs and of course the kelp!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom