some observations from a new cave diver...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OWSI176288:
However, just increasing peneration distance without taking the time to lokkaround and learn the cave isn't always a good thing. I found it's better to slow down (the cave opens up and you start to see more) and find side tunnel/jumps, etc. on you own. Or be show new passageways by an experienced cave diver. Yes, progressive penetration is slower, but more satisfying and safer in the long run.

I agree. Sheck used to say 1/3rds and line didn't guarantee an exit. Learning the cave system as well as landmarks are very important. Wreck diver's philosophy of progressive penetration is pretty smart. Add a little bit of distance each time so you develop a history of learning is a prudent thing to do. It will amaze me that people will go to a cave system they don't know and will go a significant distance back,and hope they will find their way out with a little bit of nylon for their guidance in the event something goes seriously wrong-even a guide doesn't guarantee exit because separation does occur.

I've only been cave diving a few years but in that short time things seem to have changed quit a bit. I won't say it's real bad like diving OW sites but the changes haven't been good to see.

merkin:
2) Devil's Ear sucks to run a line through - I have cramped my calves up several times coming out while trying to reel in line quickly. I also hate making safety/deco stops there.
Try reeling with your hands/arms... goes much faster :D

Pretty good one Richard. Good to see you stopped working long enough to make a joke. If you are around this weekend give me a call,or better yet wanna do some surveying.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom