Some more good news about Sunset House, Grand Cayman

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

caydiver

Contributor
Reaction score
Received the following as part of an email this morning from Sunset House. Sounds the new guy at the helm is making some really good changes. Way to go Mike!!

"Ocean Spirit
Now available for 3-tank Safaris

We are excited to announce our newest addition to the Sunset Divers fleet - Ocean Spirit. With this new boat Sunset Divers are bringing back our 3-tank Safari Trips to the beautiful North Wall."

And was mistaken when I previously mentioned that I thought Ocean Spirit was one of the RSS flat tops from the west side. She was on the other side and is not a flat top!
I

Neat. The 3 tank safaris were a nice option from there, and they've been gone for a long time.

A number of ops will do a 3 tanker on occasion. Last time with DNS, we dived Babylon, White Stroke and then Ghost Mountain. What a day!

Wall to Wall will do a 3 tank as well. I'm sure there are others, just don't have any personal experience.

I'm not familiar with Ocean Spirit. Anyone know the boat? Head? Shelter? Size? Speed? How many divers? Do they leave from their dock south of town or the Yacht Club? These would all be factors in any decision I made to do a 3 tank with Sunset Divers.

yeah I know others sometimes do it, but meant specifically Sunset House. The boat they used to use was really nice (especially compared to their other boats at the time, so it was an extra treat.) Leaving from their dock seems way too far - we left from a dock in the sound. I think not the yacht club but rather someplace more east of the airport, but I wouldn't swear to it. (Not sure their dock would have been adequate for it though anyway, was a huge boat.)

I am not a fan of Sunset. Tired old hotel, tired wet, slow old boats, badly beaten up shore dive site. Dive boats leaving the dock at Sunset have a long way to get to the good west side sites near NW Point. For a package on GC, IMO, one would be better off at Cobalt or Compass Point.

I do, however, like My bar and Cathy Church.

Sunset House is getting a big makeover and they have recalled someone from back in the day when it was much more to revive it. We go there once a month or so for the CITA Watersports meetings and already there is a major change visible and more importantly invisible. Already there is a more upbeat vibe. Ocean is a lovely boat and we are all delighted and wish them well as they renew and modernize themselves. Wish it worked the same for humans :)

That is good. A major change is needed for that place. A new boat is a good start.

When I was on Island last week the day I dove Eden rock/Devils grotto one of their boats was moored at one of the mooring balls then moved to one of the others for a second dive I have seen them there on other trips.Years ago when I dove on one of their boats I asked where we were going and the Capt. said Eden Rock I asked to get off the boat he dove other sites that day.

While the Sunset House dive site is a bit beaten up, it's not a bad easy dive, especially when the currents on the East side or north side are running fast. The mermaid is a fun photo op, and the LCM David Nicholson (the WW2 landing craft) often has some decent critters hanging out. I am glad to hear that they are revitalizing the resort - MyBar has always been a nice place to hang out after a dive. If their dive boats always head north, then I don't think I would be interested in using them, as boats out of the West Bay Dock provide easier access to north-west sites and ones out of Morgan's Harbour give good access to the North Wall sites. They would need to hit sites that those folks can't get to regularly and easily, like the various South Sound sites, just for variety.

We saw a manta at the Nicholson a while ago. And it is a super spot for things like peacock flounder. When I see a bunch of juveniles it makes my day!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom