Some advice on my set up please.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks guys. That’s all useful advice and points. I’ll have a look at the crotch this weekend and check my right tank for trim.

🤣 torch on a retractor- not part of my normal set up. Was staying outside so no tangle hazards.
Hi. I’m after some critique for any improvements for any part of my set up please. I dive 7l steels (300bar) with a stealth tec 2.0. Any advice is welcomed. I feel pretty comfortable in the water but I know it can always be better.
Here's that critique for improvement to your setup... LOSE THE RETRACTOR. It makes you look like a noob and negates all the cool points you've racked up with your almost perfect SM setup, buoyance, and trim. Also, it is an entanglement hazard even if you are not planning to penetrate the wreck; there is often a bunch of monofilament fishing line all over the outside of wrecks worldwide that is just waiting to snag any danglies.
Otherwise, you look pretty good to me. I do agree with some others that your right tank looks a bit suspicious in the third pic, but the left one looks good so maybe it's just the camera angle.

Here's that critique for improvement to your setup... LOSE THE RETRACTOR. It makes you look like a noob and negates all the cool points you've racked up with your almost perfect SM setup, buoyance, and trim. Also, it is an entanglement hazard even if you are not planning to penetrate the wreck; there is often a bunch of monofilament fishing line all over the outside of wrecks worldwide that is just waiting to snag any danglies.
Otherwise, you look pretty good to me. I do agree with some others that your right tank looks a bit suspicious in the third pic, but the left one looks good so maybe it's just the camera angle.
100% agree. It was a total one off for that dive. The retractor is actually my daughter's. My normal torch is a Sola 1200 so sits on my glove. In my defense, the wreck is the Zenobia which is totally clear of line as it's in a protected area. I take your point though.

100% agree. It was a total one off for that dive. The retractor is actually my daughter's. My normal torch is a Sola 1200 so sits on my glove. In my defense, the wreck is the Zenobia which is totally clear of line as it's in a protected area. I take your point though.
Hah, retractors are one of those things which sound good in theory, but in practice I've found to be simply annoying, never works well, and (most importantly) better replaced by some alternative.

Currently, my "go-to" is to create a paracord or bungie loop, using a prusik knot, and treading that through a bolt-snap, and the item. The loop is big enough after being threaded to fit my hand through and act as a lanyard, so I can "drop" an item at any time. The bolt-snap is for a secure clip-off, just in case I need to temporarily clip it, or want an extra- secure clip-off in case if falls out of a sheath.

Attachments

• 20221204_123348.jpg
    20221204_123348.jpg
    136.6 KB · Views: 54
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom