Some advice on my set up please.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

steveiemac

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi. I’m after some critique for any improvements for any part of my set up please. I dive 7l steels (300bar) with a stealth tec 2.0. Any advice is welcomed. I feel pretty comfortable in the water but I know it can always be better. 4ABBEF9E-4C55-403F-B20E-25652CD55FCA.jpeg8FDBFDF0-5A64-40D4-B106-B3A92A37BFDB.jpeg76A7A490-4BB5-4F15-890C-9E914ED5B4C8.jpeg

Just curious - what’s all the stuff hanging below you in the first photo?

Just curious - what’s all the stuff hanging below you in the first photo?
🤣 torch on a retractor- not part of my normal set up. Was staying outside so no tangle hazards.

Nice setup! I've only got a bit over 100 dives on my Stealth, so I'm not quite experienced enough to tell you exactly how to fiddle with things to improve your trim, but I can point toward the right direction and tell you these resources helped me:
From these pictures, I'm seeing your tanks not sitting quite in line with your body. They appear mostly horizontal, but out of trim with your body. This could be a result of how they are rigged (hardware type and placement on the cylinder), where they are clipped off, or how tightly the loop bungees (I assume) are around the valves (this can torque the tank, causing the tails of even steel tanks to point up). You appear to be diving slightly head up / knees down, as well. I would start with some out of water exercises, lying horizontal in mock perfect trim to really get the feel of being flat. In the water, try to get in trim, stop moving completely, and see how your body tips. Weight distribution in the spine pocket, fin buoyancy, and position and fit of the harness and wing can all be factors here. Horizontal trim is easier in a drysuit because you can move the bubble around, as it were, but in a wetsuit, you'll want to do a bit more fine tuning.

Personally, I do a lot of finning and skills in front of a GoPro on a tripod when solo diving (really makes deco fly by). Reviewing videos helps a lot. Perhaps most importantly, dive dive dive. You'll become more in tune with your rig and adjustments will (sometimes) feel more intuitive.

Nice setup! I've only got a bit over 100 dives on my Stealth, so I'm not quite experienced enough to tell you exactly how to fiddle with things to improve your trim, but I can point toward the right direction and tell you these resources helped me:
From these pictures, I'm seeing your tanks not sitting quite in line with your body. They appear mostly horizontal, but out of trim with your body. This could be a result of how they are rigged (hardware type and placement on the cylinder), where they are clipped off, or how tightly the loop bungees (I assume) are around the valves (this can torque the tank, causing the tails of even steel tanks to point up). You appear to be diving slightly head up / knees down, as well. I would start with some out of water exercises, lying horizontal in mock perfect trim to really get the feel of being flat. In the water, try to get in trim, stop moving completely, and see how your body tips. Weight distribution in the spine pocket, fin buoyancy, and position and fit of the harness and wing can all be factors here. Horizontal trim is easier in a drysuit because you can move the bubble around, as it were, but in a wetsuit, you'll want to do a bit more fine tuning.

Personally, I do a lot of finning and skills in front of a GoPro on a tripod when solo diving (really makes deco fly by). Reviewing videos helps a lot. Perhaps most importantly, dive dive dive. You'll become more in tune with your rig and adjustments will (sometimes) feel more intuitive.
Thanks for taking the time the reply. Lots of useful info.

Hi,

Whats your depth and how much lead do you have? Your wing seems quite inflated and high at the butt.
Do those 7L steels remain negative below 3rds?

Hi,

Whats your depth and how much lead do you have? Your wing seems quite inflated and high at the butt.
Do those 7L steels remain negative below 3rds?
Hi Paul.

That’s about 23m, I’ve got 2kgs of lead and yes they are negative throughout.

Hi,

on the third photo, it looks as if your right tank is quite out of trim, too low. One can see the tank´s bottom from the other side. So, you either trimmed it too low by moving the sliding D-ring too much in front or the rear clip is too long.
The bladder looks quite high at the butt. Anyway to tighten the crotch strap or fixate the bladder a little bit lower on the crotch strap? Where do you place your finis? The fini on the left tank seems stick out.

All in all, looks really good already.

Happy diving Jens

I can endorse sidemounting.com video-material, it's easy watching, informative, and engaging.

The only things I noticed (and I'm not an expert) are the trim of the far-tank in the last picture is quite low, whereas in the other pictures it appears a little high. You can check tank-trim by feel. I usually run my hand in-line with my body twice on each side, once above the tank, and once below. You can also use a hand-mirror or go-pro to double-check your work, but long-term being able to check it by feel is probably best.

I also noticed your SPG is hanging down. Probably not a big deal, but mine usually is in-line with my tank.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom