• No

Votes: 39 28.1%
  • Sometimes

Votes: 56 40.3%
  • No Opinion

Votes: 7 5.0%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Some of you guys will probably kill me for this, but I dive solo almost every day. There are a lot of personal restrictions and conditions I put on it though. If there is even a slight current running, I always dive in front of the boat. I might not anchor the boat and just hang on the anchor line and drift the patch reefs inshore too. If I do anchor, I never get outside of the area where I can see the anchor rope unless it's one of those "blue bird days".

Bomber

The only solo dives Ive ever done were in swimming pools, which unfortunately is pretty much the extent of my diving this summer. I was certified in February with the dreams of diving all summer long. Since then the only real diving Ive done was my AOW dives in late April. Reason being that I dont have a buddy to dive with. Its enough to drive me absolutely crazy. Every weekend I go out and its a hot clear sunny day, with beautiful clear Lake Ouachita less than an hours drive away.........and I cant go!!!! Now that summer is waning its really bothering me. To pour salt on the wound, my family (parents and siblings) are planning a trip to Lake Norfork in the next couple of weeks, and I will most likely wind up snorkeling due to lack of a dive buddy! Our annual trip to salt water fell through this year because of other family members. Its turned out to be one the most disappointing summers in memory! Sigh!

I guess that answers where I stand on diving solo! It may be disappointing, but at least Im still breathing.

ScubyDoo once bubbled...
Its turned out to be one the most disappointing summers in memory! Sigh!

On top of not getting a vacation or getting to dive any, due to the slowing economies impact, my firm was unable to provide annual raises or mid year bonus' as well, which means I once again have to postpone buying a new home. The firm has also instated a "no-pay" for overtime for stockholders right at a time when Im working lots of overtime.

This has been the summer from Hell !!!!

Most of my dives are solo. Since being abandoned on my 2nd wreck dive years back I've learned to rely on myself. Some of the lessons were learned the hard way; that is, what equipment was needed. All that gear actually helped save my PADI instructor on one trip where the shop insisted I dive with him. Redundency and dive planning are the key. That's why tropical dives make me more nervous than NE wreck dives. One tank, one first stage, and the usual admonishment to "surface with 500 psi". I feel like I've messed up if I don't finish with 1000. But, as they say, it's not for everyone.

I have dove solo to retreive a watch , it was in zero vis so a buddy would have done no good.
I have also dove in Lake Mich. a number of times with buddies but in 6 ft. or less vis one becomes easily lost so you end up diving solo ( in depends who you are with - divers you know I just keep diving, new divers or very young divers or divers that I dont know, I give a dive plan to meet at the surface after 10 minutes of being out of site of any one ). I dont recomend diving solo. There have been a number of times that my wife is out of air and I stay near the dive boat for another twenty min. or so until my air gets below 1000lbs.

Dive Safe,
Caymaniac :

Not yet but the idea has sounded interesting, and i may pesue it at a later date.

~Jon

My family and friends are too important to me. Diving is way down on that list.

If you dive solo....who signs off in your logbook? I have completed 51 dives.....only the first 5 are signed off...for certification..I still fill out my logbook faithfully (because it's really for me) but I've heard that on some dives (charters) that you have to show via logbook testamonial <sp> that you have completed x # of dives, to x feet/meters of depth etc....
anyway, I was just curious about the logbook issue...
thanks

Wow I had no idea so many people solo dived. I haven't yet and am tempted to solo alot. Do people ever ask you. Hey where's your buddy or aren't you surpose to be with someone else?
Don't know if I'll go solo anytime soon. Maybe when I think me experiance is up to par.

...I haven't been certified to solo dive.

BTW after our second dive today I saw Bravediver getting his brand new shiney gear ready to go... solo... I refrained from saying anything... do I get a point for that???

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom