• No

Votes: 39 28.1%
  • Sometimes

Votes: 56 40.3%
  • No Opinion

Votes: 7 5.0%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba446

Reaction score
I'm just curius after reading an article about solo diving...so I'm going to POLL it...

I have before, and would again under certain conditions. I certainly don't advocate it and I would never do it in OH environment dives. However since I am in the habit now of wearing redundant tanks, regs, etc. and am comfortable with this equipment, any sort of malfunction or failure should not be catastrophic to me.

I also would not do it using single tanks, etc. without having redundancy. That is one of the main reasons you have a buddy.

I have done solodives, some pretty dumb ones in retrorespect at that, but i lived and learned and probably will not do it again, no matter how much redundancy you have you only have one main divecomputer (brain), if you pass out for whatever reason a buddy might very well save your life, when you are solo you probably die, no matter how redundant your gear is.

Just my 0.05c worth :rolleyes:

90 percent of all my dives are solo dives. I am conformable, confident and completely relaxed when diving solo. My solo dives are the one's that give me the most pleasure. Solo diving is not for everyone. In fact diving it self is not for everyone. The bottom line is if your are in question about your ability to solo dive, then DON'T. Dive safe and with in your own abilities and limitations................................... Arduous

sheck33 once bubbled...
I have done solodives, some pretty dumb ones in retrorespect at that, but i lived and learned and probably will not do it again, no matter how much redundancy you have you only have one main divecomputer (brain), if you pass out for whatever reason a buddy might very well save your life, when you are solo you probably die, no matter how redundant your gear is.

Just my 0.05c worth :rolleyes:

An excellent and often debated point. And on the flip side of this, I have done dives with a buddy that was so careless or inattentive that I would have prolly been better off diving alone. Again, I do NOT advocate it, but there have been situations where I have done it. As they say, live and learn. If the situation came up again and I choose to dive solo, I would do my best to make sure to eliminate as many variables as I possibly could.

I wouldn't cave dive or dive in open ocean or wreck dive solo (Actually, I have wreck dived solo but no penetration). I do not mind solo diving in the local scubapark to work on bouancy or weighting or swimming exercise. I too have had many buddies that were so inattentive that I was worse than solo because I had to worry about the other fool killing herself/himself.

Dave

Campana once bubbled...
I wouldn't cave dive or dive in open ocean or wreck dive solo (Actually, I have wreck dived solo but no penetration). I do not mind solo diving in the local scubapark to work on bouancy or weighting or swimming exercise. I too have had many buddies that were so inattentive that I was worse than solo because I had to worry about the other fool killing herself/himself.

Dave

I agree. The few solo dives I have done were normally very shallow (less than 40'). That isnt to say that things still couldnt happen in shallow water (someone could drown in 5 gallon bucket), but the likelyhood of successfully dealing with it increases at shallower depths. I would never consider any sort of penetration dive solo.

When I do solo dive, it is in the local quarrys shallow end. I stay above 30feet.

A few very shallow dives -- under 20 ft. Mostly to pull weeds, move brush, retrieve junk -- all in a very familiar place.

lol ,
ive done solo dives and will dive solo agin for me it is beacuse of a lack of dive buddies in my aera , it dosent bother me mutch if i dive solo but enjoy it better with a buddie
dive safe .

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom