Question Solo, Shallow, Senior, Sunset, Safe second…

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm only "hoarding" two G250's. Crystal and pink, see pic. My few working others are also G250's, but all black and with honest wear on them. -and enough service kits to get me and them to the other side...

Enquiring minds now know... :)

Primo Regs.jpg

Head for the surface? 6m/20ft is shallow.

It’s a different mindset where risks are different from diving with others or deeper.
I agree on both points. You can retrieve your reg, or use your octo, or head for the surface from 20 feet.
On deep dives going to the surface is far from ideal of course. Diving with a buddy is a different situation. The OP does neither of those things, so that is what I'm replying to.

I have only seen one such failure, a diaphragm that was improperly gasketed. It pulled loose a bit and became a wet breather, but it did behave otherwise.

I would be very interested in your other failures. Not calling you on it, just damn curious...

I have seen the mushroom valve get lodged open and cause the reg to unable to be purged. I have seen the front of a reg come off and the diaphragm separate. I have also seen a second stage come completely off the LP hose. Just to name a few. But the reality is, I don't care what any of you do. Go to the surface, do a front flip and blow and air ring from your mouth and then surface through that ring or grab an alternate reg and continue your dive. Dive and let dive, that seems to be the theme these days.

I would say ditch the octopus and just for the fun of it... Learn to breathe off the inflator. It gives you another option, and who knows, it might be useful someday. just press both buttons and sip the air.

Yes. Also if you get your reg kicked out of your mouth and for some reason can't retrieve it, you have th octo right there (I bungee my reg around my head so it can not come lose).
I was wondering, if he really dives alone he might as well bungee his primary if he does not have a secondary.

At one site I'm often no deeper than 17'. But I stay down a long time and do not like the idea of those bubbly things in my blood. Slow ascents are good ascents, particularly in the last 10'. So I'm a step beyond keeping that safe second. I have a separate air source. I'm also in kelp, so there is that.

On a clear sandy beach to 20' would I dive single tank? Maybe.

Would I feel the need to strip off my nice tidy necklace reg? No, I don't think the massive clutter it creates would be that bothersome to me. Though I have trimmed the hose nicely and it is an XStream, so it is rather small and does not get in the way.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom