Solo gear configuration

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I solo shore dive, all during the day. I sling a pony, either a 13 or 19 depending on depth. I take shears, knife, SMB, at least one light, and a Dive Alert in case of injury and need to call for help.

Adam

I don't change my rig much if I dive with some one or not, for me it's better to keep it all the same from dive to dive. The only thing that is likly to be differint from one dive to the other would be do I use 3mm or 7mm,hood or no hood so on and so froth.
My Rig is: Zeagle Ranger BCD, Poseidon Jetstream 1st and 2sd, poseidon 2000 Trident 1st and 2sd(pony tank 13 ft mont on prime) two cutting tools that I can get to with both hands. Light, 1 by day and 2 if by night. A 50lbs lift bag stowed in a mesh pocket under my primery tank at the bottom of my BCD, dive rite jump reel (140 feet) this with the lift bag is what I call real back up. Blow out your BCD at depth and your lift bag will be your new BCD, get lost can't get back to the up line, getting low on gas and can't get to up line......Or if you find some thing you just have to have but can't lift it eazy (never lift with your BCD if it gets away from you as your coming up with it you are in BIG danger) 1 depth gauge, 2 conputers, watch,compass,slate for mapping and noting times.I too use a weight belt with just the lead it takes to hold me down at depth,if I have to get out of my BCD at Depth I don't want to fight to stay with it. I can't stress enough the need to do s-drills---- your rig is only as good as you are at knowing how to put every pice of it to use----The very best "buddy divers" are solo divers or other divers that take the job to heart not just looking to get wet.

The only difference is when I solo I always bring my cell phone in an old sealife camera case. Don't know if it'll work or for how long once I'm on the surface and take it out of the case to use it but, if I don't have I can't even try. Years ago I had to swim on the surface for several hours at night without a light, because I overlooked the obvious and got stranded a mile off shore. A cell phone would have been nice.

You must be living wrong. In my 57 years of diving I have never had a yoke O ring blow. I don't think the problem is the yoke O ring.
When I was younger, an yoke O-ring blows underwater. Many years after, I can't find a solution in back-mount to solve the issue (except of course beginning the ascent and searching the octo of the buddy / a redundant air-source). . DIN hasn't any known underwater weakness. Moreover the screw-head*of a yoke reg, in case of panic, can be confused with the tank tap. * I'm not sure this is the correct word, English is not my mother tongue.

screw-head*

* I'm not sure this is the correct word, English is not my mother tongue.

The word is good. May also be called a clamp by some but we know what you mean.

I have had a few yoke o-rings blow on me while I was still in training, all on rental tanks.

As for my solo setup (non-deco, and a personal solo limit of 60ft/~18m for now):

119 HP tank, DIN, BP/W, standard long hose/SPG setup (not gonna have a separate reg just for solo diving yet)
40 AL tank, DIN, sling on left side, same gas as on my back or air
Mask strap tucked under hood, works great to retain the mask if the strap or buckle breaks
Large SMB, reels, etc
Multiple lights if needed
"Eezy Cut Trilobite" knife on my wrist computer
Smaller Halcyon standard knife on my harness

Not too worried about having a second mask even if the hood trick didn't work, as I'm nearsighted; Worst case, I can just swipe the contacts out of my eyes and see clearly again!

If/when I go below 60 feet while solo and start with deco, etc, I will start carrying a second computer or Uwatec-style gauge, and a second SMB or bag.

Also, I only solo dive sites I have been to several times before in the same conditions and am very familiar and comfortable with.

When I was younger, an yoke O-ring blows underwater. Many years after, I can't find a solution in back-mount to solve the issue (except of course beginning the ascent and searching the octo of the buddy / a redundant air-source). . DIN hasn't any known underwater weakness. Moreover the screw-head*of a yoke reg, in case of panic, can be confused with the tank tap. * I'm not sure this is the correct word, English is not my mother tongue.

My solution was independent doubles, no manifolds just two tanks banded together with a reg on each one. Whichever reg I'm not using is my octo. I never have less than 800psi in each tank when I start my ascent. I've dived with yokes for 40 years never not one time have I had a O ring blow. I do change them every year they are cheap.

But what is the interest of yoke regulators? I can understand if you're a fan of Tchaikovsky, they are easier to hang for storage, but under water they have some risks.

Bonjour Jago,

i use din fittings too, but i have to have yoke converters if i takn my own kit to American dominated locations. It's probably easier for most people to dive with what is common to themselves.

i learned on Yokes, but changed when i got new regs a few years ago.

Salut Sylpha.

I have forgotten the existence of many recent "only-yoke" taps in USA and some parts of Asia.

Something I definitely can't understand.

Bonne fin de semaine.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom