Solo Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Odin

Registered
Reaction score
I know some people who do it and i was wondering what all your thoughts were on diving alone?

BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD

Not a good idea at all. Horrible habit to get into.

Why.. 2 reasons:

1. Unsafe -- Easiest reason of all. Your going into an environment which by design we aren't exactly the best equipped for. Its turblent, cold, dark, and above all, can be your worst enemy if conditions change. Also, what about your equipment. Sure you can strap on every possible accessory, be in the best shape of your life, and dive straight in. More than likely you'll be fine, but what if you break a fin strap, get a cramp, loose your mask, get stung by something while poking around a hole looking for a bug.

Some of these aren't deadly, but if you need help untangling something or getting yourself out of kelp, its always good to have someone around to watch your back, as well as watch theirs..

2. Not as fun -- What better proof of that rare fish or mammal do you have but other than your buddy. Its a great way to share and enjoy the sport.. People can give lots of stories about what they and their buddy experienced. Not to mention it allows you to build up some friendships if you don't have many who share the sport.

I'm sure most people here will agree with me when I say its a really bad habit to get into.

Any other thoughts?

Paul

Originally posted by LilmanHSU
I'm sure most people here will agree with me when I say its a really bad habit to get into.

I agree to a point. For anything other than experienced expert divers, the buddy system is the way to go. I however do also believe that there is a caliber of serious diving to which it becomes unsafe to have to worry about a buddy as well as yourself. Of course, the _vast_ majority of divers aren't diving to that level.

However, I do feel that knowledge of Solo diving practices and absolute self-sufficiency is a good thing. Because when it comes down to an emergency can you absolutely/positively guarantee your buddy will be able to help you? What if you both end up in trouble at the same time?

I'm not condoning solo diving, I'm just stating that it's extremely useful knowledge. When buying a longer hose for my reg that I moved to my pony bottle, the LDS owner asked if I wanted it yellow. I said it didn't really matter, but I would prefer black. My alternate is in the "triangle" and has a yellow hose. That's for my buddy to use. My pony bottle reg is not in the triangle, and it's got a black hose. Why? 'Cause that ones _My_ alternate!

It's a can o'worms you'r opening here. Try looking in past threads in the general discussion folder, there were quite some discussions on this subject, some very intensive.

I would not want to dive solo. For me the pleasure lies in enjoying the sights/experience with my buddy who is my wife. However, it's not for me to dictate to others and if someone with proper training wants to dive solo then go ahead.

Many excellent points have already been made. Personally, I am not into solo diving. However some people can & do dive solo. The key is to do it PROPERLY.

GOOD solo divers are VERY experienced people who have many years of training under a variety of dive conditions. They plan meticulously and have multiple redundant systems.

Just as not everyone is suited to being a technical diver, very few people are suited to solo diving.

My $0.02's worth,

~SubMariner~

I have to side with submariner on this one that solo diving is alright only when done by people with appropriate levels of training and experience.
Do I dive solo? Yes, sometimes. However, I will only dive alone under certain conditions. I will not dive alone on deep dives, wreck penetration, or high current conditions.
In response to Paul's comments, solo diving is not necessarily more dangerous, nor is it always less enjoyable. The key to safety is redundancy and diving within your comfort zone. In terms of enjoyment, I can have a much better time on many solo dives because: 1. dont have to worry about a bad buddy (they're out there and I've been with some) and 2. it lets me follow the dive profile that I want.

Again, I want to say that I am by no means advocating solo diving to everyone. If you have the training, experience, equipment, and desire to dive solo, it's your choice. Bottom line: if you don't feel right diving solo, don't do it.

Until this weekend, I thought that I would never dive solo. Then I met the dive buddies from H)(*.

My buddies and I had planned a wreck dive. They bailed, so I signed up for a seal observation dive off the Maine coast.

I met the seal diving group. I expected to tag along with the DM. Instead, a couple of divers asked me if I wanted to trio with them. We discussed techniques, equipment and what we wanted to do on the dive. They seemed knowledgable and we got along, so I agreed.

After reaching the site, we rigged up. The DM took his group and started their dive.

Suddenly, my buddies were in a hurry. They refused my request to review and check equipment (I had the dive boat captain, a certified instructor, check me while they were still changing into their drysuits).

One entered the water with his drysuit disconnected. The other connected his drysuit, but forgot to inflate his BC or turn on his tank. They began arguing over with each other over whose fault it was. They were literally yelling at each other while we were in the water.

At that point I decided to change my dive plan to avoid these divers. I was still rigged for a wreck dive. Accordingy, I had totally redundant air systems and the usual wreck diving safety equipment. I borrowed a dive flag, informed the captain and my buddies what I was doing and did my dive. I stayed above 50' and was extremely conservative. I stayed quiet, hovered and observed seals. It was a wonderful experience.

When I exited, my buddies had not seen a single seal and were still mad at each other.

My point (and I do have one) is that there are circumstances where a solo can be the better of a set of bad alternatives. I could have stayed with my buddies, who I considered dangerous. I could have terminated, which would have meant that I drove 250 miles round trip for no reason. Finally, I could do what I did.

I don't recommend solo diving and agree with those of you who will say that I took a chance. However, in my opinion, diving with those two was the greater danger.

That all depends on what YOU call solo....

As was suggested by Liquid - do a search on solo diving, and you'll find a few discussions that have already occured. This one Solo Diving For or Against might give you some more highlights

Solo diving is a matter of perspective. Are we talking about a diver entering and conducting the dive alone, or are we talking about two divers entering together, dive in the same ocean and sometimes exiting together?
Are we talking about two divers blowing bubbles together but if something happen neither one is trained and able to help the other? That is diving solo also, actually worst than solo.
Less than 5% of certified divers are rescue trained. What does that tell us about buddy diving.
I am all for buddy systems. Unfortunately dive instruction does not teach buddy systems. The typical open water certification dives are conducted whith the instructor working with a group of students. How often the students descent in buddy teams, do the skills as a buddy team with the instructor and exit together with the buddy? Not often enough. So when are they supposed to learn diving with a buddy? After they are certified? If it didn't happen in the class, it's not going to happen after.
If we really think about it, there is a lot of bad habits enforced during basic training. Such as the 220-240 ft/min ascents.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom