Solo Diving?????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I waded into this once before, however I didn't go hog wild with a response. No, I won't go hog wild now either, BUT, I will say some things I didn't before. I do a considerable ammount of solo diving. I am not an advocate though. I don't want to appear to be an eliteist but the facts are, in my mind...........
* You have to be more skilled than the average diver, training is essential, as is practice of those skills!
* Your equipment has to be better quality, recreational gear isn't always the most durable or dependable if compared to higher end gear, think life support!
* You should be redundant in air supply, lift capability, and have a plan/equipment for the worst case senerio, surface marking etc. !
* You really should alert someone that you are diving, and again upon your return. If you are in trouble, and it could happen, time is very important, it's also fair to loved ones!
* Practicing skills is a routine part of every dive, it must be second nature!
* Having a grasp of the tables for time and depth is a must, I never trust my computers. Plan for the un expected!
Solo diving is very rewarding for me. It' s not for everyone! The notion that anyone should be able to do it is impractical, and or un ethical. Just look around you for examples of inexperience in equipment management, and essential skills. there are alot of talented people diving. There very well may be alot of newer divers that may ascend to the point where they could manage the demands of solo diving quite well. Unfortunately there is no agency well suited to make that decision at this point. That leaves the decision to the individual, and that may very well be a problem! Be honest with your self about your abilities!
Wreck/tec

Wreck/Tec once bubbled...
I waded into this once before, however I didn't go hog wild with a response. No, I won't go hog wild now either, BUT, I will say some things I didn't before. I do a considerable ammount of solo diving. I am not an advocate though. I don't want to appear to be an eliteist but the facts are, in my mind...........
* You have to be more skilled than the average diver, training is essential, as is practice of those skills!
* Your equipment has to be better quality, recreational gear isn't always the most durable or dependable if compared to higher end gear, think life support!
* You should be redundant in air supply, lift capability, and have a plan/equipment for the worst case senerio, surface marking etc. !
* You really should alert someone that you are diving, and again upon your return. If you are in trouble, and it could happen, time is very important, it's also fair to loved ones!
* Practicing skills is a routine part of every dive, it must be second nature!
* Having a grasp of the tables for time and depth is a must, I never trust my computers. Plan for the un expected!
Solo diving is very rewarding for me. It' s not for everyone! The notion that anyone should be able to do it is impractical, and or un ethical. Just look around you for examples of inexperience in equipment management, and essential skills. there are alot of talented people diving. There very well may be alot of newer divers that may ascend to the point where they could manage the demands of solo diving quite well. Unfortunately there is no agency well suited to make that decision at this point. That leaves the decision to the individual, and that may very well be a problem! Be honest with your self about your abilities!
Wreck/tec

Exactly. Very well put.

Scott

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom