Solo Diving?????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have decades of diving experience. I solo dive all the time and I'm comfotable with it. But for my two cents Popeye hit the nail on the head. If you have to think too much about it, you probably are not ready.

Jim

If you want to dive solo knock your socks off but please don't rely on a silly 2 dive solo class tought by a recreational diver with no experience in the kind or redundant equipment they claim to be able to teach to prepare you for it.

JT2 once bubbled...
There is no reason that less than pristine viz should turn Buddy diving into Solo diving. With proper planning and technique buddy diving is easily done in low to no viz situations. Now, that being said if you wish to dive solo then by all means go ahead, but don't try and justify it with ridiculous excuses.

Present company excepted, many of the rest of us haven't evolved to where we're perfect divers. After several years of diving in low or no viz, -I- still lose a buddy once in a while.

Last time was a Far Rockaway in New York, where I lost a dive buddy in 6 ft of water, 10 ft from shore. Other than holding hands, I don't think we could have stayed together. I ran into him once or twice without even seeing him.

I would hardly call it a rediculous excuse from a point of reality.

MikeFerrara once bubbled...
If you want to dive solo knock your socks off but please don't rely on a silly 2 dive solo class tought by a recreational diver with no experience in the kind or redundant equipment they claim to be able to teach to prepare you for it.

Which differs from learning any other aspect of diving, how?

Present company excepted, many of the rest of us haven't evolved to where we're perfect divers. After several years of diving in low or no viz, -I- still lose a buddy once in a while.
Popeye, I in no way intended to imply that I am a perfect diver, and yes I realize that it is possible to lose your buddy even if you are doing things properly, but that is not an excuse to Solo dive. If you lose your buddy, you find him! If you can't find him/her you follow whatever procedures were previously agreed upon in your pre-dive briefing and go from there. In your case I assume that would mean to just continue the dive and not worry about your buddy. You are certainly entitled to your opinions on dive procedures, I however think more of my buddy than to just continue the dive like nothing happened. Again, if you wish to solo dive and your buddies agree that if separated on a buddy dive to just continue diving on their own without worrying about the other diver then go right ahead, you don't need my permission or anyone else's. I am just trying to say that I don't agree with making ridiculous excuses i.e.
Shallow Minnesota lake dives in less than pristine visability often relegates "buddy" diving into "solo" diving after a 5 ft. descent. The "buddy only" stiffs need to lighten up.
for solo diving, that's it. I do realize that you Popeye were not the one who made the excuse.:mean:

Hey Mike you are really generalizing here. that staement can generaly be said about any course taught by any agency.

I teach solo diving, and beleive that divers are solo diving more than they think they are....also i believe that it is something that should be realized when you start doing deep technical dives. if you prepair for them as a solo dive, even when you are part of a team you will have no dependency on that team member therefore adding to overall saftey for the whole team....and of course if something catastraufic did happen then you have a team member there to lend assistance if he chooses to.

Popeye really said it best...i agree with him totaly

Thanks for the thread links everyone. I guess I wasn't looking hard enough. From all the other threads I have viewed and replied to, I'm almost regreting opening this can of worms. Seems there is much heated debate on the issue still.

SCORE ResQ once bubbled...
Thanks for the thread links everyone. I guess I wasn't looking hard enough. From all the other threads I have viewed and replied to, I'm almost regreting opening this can of worms. Seems there is much heated debate on the issue still.

The place would be quite a drag if everybody agreed on everything.

People that stand on a point, should be able to justify it.

Nobody learns if we don't debate.

And the hot subjects will be hot debates.

Keep up the good work.

JC Mike,

Lighten up will ya.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom