Solo diving on a rebreather

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I still solo dive a rebreather quite often and do it in the caves also. I am very vigilante about knowing my breathing rate and the reason for any escalation of it.

This is exactly how I approach my rebreather diving. If I feel my breathing rate increasing even slightly due to exertion I will stop what I'm doing and might even switch to OC for a minute or so just to get back on track. I exited the cave on OC on one recent dive because I kept feeling my breathing rate increase. I wasn't swimming or working hard but could feel my breathing getting more difficult. After a couple of attempts to get it under control, including going to OC, I decided the loop was off limits because something about the rebreather was the cause of the rate increase. Hyperawareness when diving a rebreather is absolutely necessary!

What he meant to say was that careful preparation of your rebreather can not guarantee you won't get a CO2 hit, EVEN IN SOMETHING AS RELIABLE AS AN OPTIMA.

Please pardon any typos. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was being polite and NOT mentioning how easy it is to overbreathe the EAC in the optima. I did it many times until I finally got rid of it and got my rEvo. I do not think that my lungs have the ability to overbreathe the rEvo, and Yes, I have worked hard enough to test this theory.

Hi guys, I have a related question about CO2 for the original poster Dave, who is a Meg ccr instructor. Maybe this is not the right place to ask it or I should post it as a new thread but here goes anyways. I and a buddy of mine both dive Megs. My buddy is fairly new to the Meg and has been using it for about half a year. He told me he recently went on a dive with some other guys and suspected he had CO2 problems during the dive. He completed the dive, but after he got to the surface he had a pounding headache the rest of the day, had nausea and actually threw up. Seems to be pretty classic CO2 problems.

He has dove his Meg since the incident a couple of times and not had any problems. We both took a look at his Meg, he went through the checklist, checked the O-rings, mushroom valves, etc … I think he said it was a 2-3 hour dive so he was within the limits of his axial scrubber. His scrubber material is not past the expiry date and is a brand used by many divers. We could not find any problems. He has an older Apeks 2.0 with many modifications, he bought used with an axial scrubber, a custom BOV, the loop looks custom and some non-ISC backmounted counterlungs. The custom mods he has made me a little leery but it looks like everything holds a seal. I told him maybe he had a one-time problem when he assembled the unit. Maybe on that dive one of the O-rings did not seat correctly, or maybe some junk got in his mushroom valves. Since he has an axial scrubber it is harder to screw up the packing of that scrubber than the radial one. I told him he just needs to be extra careful on the checklist and take his time. Do you have any recommendations? Fortunately I’ve never had any CO2 problems with my Meg. Thanks.

Is he consistent with the way he packs his scrubber?

Is he consistent with the way he packs his scrubber?

Ya I'm thinking the problem is something like what you mentioned, that he didn't do one step correctly during his pre-dive checklist on that dive. He didn't have any CO2 problems before that one dive and he has been able to dive the unit a couple of times after without any problems. Ideally, I'd like it if we both go through the checklist step by step together to see if maybe there are any problems in how he does one of his checklist steps. Unfortunately I don't live in the same state he does and it will be a while before I return. So for now I he just has to take it real slow going through the pre-dive checks.

Ya I'm thinking the problem is something like what you mentioned, that he didn't do one step correctly during his pre-dive checklist on that dive. He didn't have any CO2 problems before that one dive and he has been able to dive the unit a couple of times after without any problems. Ideally, I'd like it if we both go through the checklist step by step together to see if maybe there are any problems in how he does one of his checklist steps. Unfortunately I don't live in the same state he does and it will be a while before I return. So for now I he just has to take it real slow going through the pre-dive checks.
It's hard to diagnose a problem on an internet forum. The easy answer is. following the checklist to a T will identify most problems that will lead to a CO2 breakthrough. Mushroom valves, o-rings, scrubber packing etc. Having a modified loop and a non-standard BOV will complicate the troubleshooting process a little especially since we have no way of knowing exazctly what mods have been done and what effect they might have on the overall system.
I would highly suggest getting to the bottom of this before your friend dives the unit again.

If it was channeling, then following the checklist to a T won't help. More likely it was a one-time thing that some crystals just happened to get stuck in a particular orientation and it wasn't packed as well as it could be. Vigilance in packing scrubbers is required. At the 6-month point after initial training is often where things start to get a little loose, right Dave?

If it was channeling, then following the checklist to a T won't help. More likely it was a one-time thing that some crystals just happened to get stuck in a particular orientation and it wasn't packed as well as it could be. Vigilance in packing scrubbers is required. At the 6-month point after initial training is often where things start to get a little loose, right Dave?

Isn't checking the scrubber to ensure it is properly packed part of your checklist?

There is no way to check that it is properly packed. There is always that infinitesimal chance that things just line up wrong and create a channel. Pre breathe might find something, and I guess that counts as a checklist item.

Why are you trying to pick a fight when we essentially agree?

Please pardon any typos. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks guys for the tips. I spoke to my buddy and the problem has not reappeared so either he goofed up one of the steps on the checklist or some junk got in his mushroom valves. Where he dives there is often a lot of debris floating on the surface. I told him to be careful when getting into the water and protect your mouthpiece. He also should have couch dived it before taking it into the water again

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom