Solo diving on a rebreather

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lack of buddies diving ccr in my turf is one of the reasons for not diving ccr. I dive solo oc all the time, but would not even consider solo ccr. Then again I've got less than 100 hours clocked on them ...

The first time I was diving solo on CCr I couldn't stop looking at my PpO2. I reviewed the gopro footage and it was about every 15-30 seconds I was looking at it. I usually look at my PPo2 from my HUD which doesn't affect the video when attached to my head.

It's all relative. I know that most of my dives are solo dives on a CCr. They have extra equipment that I could use while diving but I don't have some silly delusion that somehow they are going to save my life while diving with them. There are some people that I dive with that are hyper aware and there are some that if I were to go a different direction it would be 5-10 minutes before they realized I was gone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just curious if you have considered flood tolerance into your calculations if solo diving when on your ReVO or the sensitive nature of its ADV when not installed properly?

Please explain what you mean about the sensitive nature of the ADV if not installed properly.

Just curious if you have considered flood tolerance into your calculations if solo diving when on your ReVO or the sensitive nature of its ADV when not installed properly?

What flood tolerance? :wink: Yes, I've considered it and unlike a channeling issue, I'm likely to notice a flood with ample time to bail out. The ADV was annoying enough even when installed properly that I've detuned it to the point that even sticking the hose bundle directly under its lever won't cause a problem. But again, unlike a channeling issue and the resulting CO2 hit, I'm going to notice a free-flowing ADV with ample time to either bail out (or more likely, feather the dil valve).

But no matter how you slice it, solo CCR is a different animal from solo OC.

Please explain what you mean about the sensitive nature of the ADV if not installed properly.

Sorry in the delayed response. I should shut up now as I only know what I read and that isn't enough to support anything other than to ask a question. I heard about ADV issues of not seated right or placed properly.

If the ADV was stuck open how would you isolate? It sounds like some will detune.

It might be a non issue which that's what it sounds like.

The flood tolerance piece has been solved by one thing or another I've read by placing the opv in a different location for the 3rd generation.

One interesting thing that one will pick up on the forums that is interesting to read is the complaints and responses by manufacturing. Rebreathers don't start out perfect...

... They are constantly improved through experience and failure which is a great thing.

Thanks for the discussion,
Garth

As far as I'm concerned, a stuck ADV is nothing more than an internal dil boom. Handle accordingly.... Feather the dil valve.

Something with which you have some recent experience, too :wink:

Yes, but not with a stuck ADV though.

Stuck MAV on the three gas block.

Yeah, but as far as you knew when it happened at however many feet, it was an internal dil boom and was managable accordingly. I mean, I assume it must have been, since you were back on the boat with full BO tanks cussing at an open unit when I finally got back there.

You diving this weekend? Chris said you might be heading out of town.

Yeah, it happened at 130 on the way out. Didn't end the dive, just another thing to manage.

I guess I was cussing a bit.

Going to Maryland this weekend until next. I'm out for a couple of weeks.

You boys are on your own. :)

I wanted to add a little something to this discussion on Sanity Breaths (I realize the thread has taken another direction but when has that ever stopped me before)

A side effect of hypercapnia is memory loss. The problem with sanity breaths as I was taught (and agree with) is this: for some reason you felt wonky enough to go off the loop, after your head clears there is no guarantee that you'll remember that reason, and then as Dave says, the danger is still there waiting for you. So given the inherent nature of CO2 retention or channeling issue, sanity breaths with the intent to possibly go back on the loop is likely not the best plan. You can't trust your brain at that point.

So a question was asked in a PM why you don't believe in sanity breaths and I felt it should be answered on an open forum so others can weigh in. I know many don't subscribe to the same religion I do but here goes:
Basically you need to ask what does a sanity breath do for you? If it allows you to determine if the loop is bad by being able to tell the difference between good gas and bad gas it fails miserably. I can't taste or smell CO2 and if I had retained enough of it a few breaths of clean gas would not have felt any different to me. If it had felt different then it means yes I likely have a bad loop and I should stay off it. If it didn't feel any different then does it mean it is safe to stay on the loop? Not in my books. If I feel the need to get off the loop then I stay off the loop. Whatever caused that feeling of danger is still waiting for me on the loop. The scrubber won't fix itself (although some CCR instructors believe it will) and you are just playing russian roulette if you go back on a compromised loop.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom