Solo Diving, How about WHY we should not instead of just NO you should not.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

By solo diving you are ppaying the odds of not having a surprise physical ailement, not getting tangled, not blacking out for unknown reasons, have a perfect dive etc. I only occasionaly do solo diving but it has to be in good conditions, at certain depts, with a pony, and I have to be feeling well both physically and also mentally sharp.

Out of my 200+ dives half has been leaning photography and taken photos these have been mainly solo dives all off my boat with my Wife aboard as deckie and look out. Most of my solo dives are between 5-10metres and in waters I know very well. When I go with a buddy its usally in new waters and deeper situations and someone Ican trust and have set rules. I personally love diving solo as there isno-one to look after and it makes me more aware on my own responsiblities with equipment and safety.

I've read with interest all the expert opinions in this thread. My opinion is that they all miss the main point.

Training and preparation is what it takes to scuba dive safely. Training and preparation is also what it takes to solo dive safely. Accident reports show us that in as many as half the instances where a bubby is asked for help they do not effectively give it.

This idea of “always dive with a buddy” had it’s origin in the fact that the YMCA was originally the main scuba certifying agency and their “always swim with a buddy” got carried over into their scuba curriculum. It was not then and is not now based on statistical evidence showing that diving with a buddy is safer.

Underwater problems need to be solved underwater. Be prepared to do that whether you’re diving solo or with a buddy.

I would never dive solo without carrying with me everything that a buddy might be able to supply me with if I needed it. That includes a completely separate, redundant air source with its own first and second stage regulator. If you’re at 30 feet a Spare Air is adequate. In you dive deeper you’ll need a pony bottle with 15 to 30 cubic feet of gas. When I dive solo in overhead environments I carry a separate aluminum 80 in addition to the 240 cubic feet of gas in my back mounted doubles.

Self sufficiency is what’s needed for solo diving and what’s needed to be a good diver period. One source of information is the book “Solo Diving” by Robert von Maier (ISBN 0-922769-13-3). Some of his points may be a bit conservative but it’s a good place to start.

Solo diving isn’t the reckless pursuit it’s made out to be by most of the certification agencies. On the other hand it’s not something to be entered into lightly. If you feel you have the ability and personal discipline to safely pursue solo diving, first seek all the information you can about it and any training that is available in your area. When you start, move forward in easy steps with short, shallow dives to test the self sufficient package you’ve put together. Build up to longer and deeper dives with time.

Although diving is a safe pursuit when done properly and within the limits of your training and ability, you are in an alien environment that requires life support equipment to stay alive. Treat it as such and you'll be diving safely.

That's my opinion.

Hello,

I have read this thread with great interest. I noted that some writers base a persons ability to solo dive on the number of dives they have made with buddies or the amount of training they have received. What of other skills a new diver may have acquired elsewhere in life, such as problem solving, looking at details and risk checking? I'm not speaking of problems in the office, but of situations that a person must face or be hurt if they do not correct them, such as Parachuting or Mountain Climbing. Does a persons thought process play a role in self evaluation to solo dive?

I have been diving solo for years now, mind you I am never deeper than 20 ft, the rest of my shore party know where I am, I avoid overheads etc. Why have I been doing it this way? Simply because I was too far from anywhere to find a buddy to dive with. None of my shoreparty (usually my immediate family) were divers and being in a tourist area I really didn't want to have someone new out with me every dive.
Now, my daughter is old enough to dive, so I have a buddy, but due to her age and inexperience it is almost like I am diving alone still.

Rob - lost on an island somewhere in Georgian Bay

MikeFerrara:
. . .I'm with Rick on this one. Dive solo if you want but rationalizing it is a wast of time...especially by comparing it to diving with a bad buddy. Don't ever dive with a bad buddy. BTW, I think following along on charters is a great way to get in trouble if you let others plan your dives and pick your buddies. I wouldn't say we should stay away from tha until we have thousands of dives. I'd say we should stay away from that for our entire diving career!

All of us accept risk when we choose to dive. With the exception of commercial divers, we just don't have to dive. Having said this, we get to pick the level of risk based on our own judgement. For example, no one has to cave dive, or dive deeper than 30 feet, or dive in cold water. Each of these represent some level of quantifiable increase in risk.

I dive solo somethimes, but when I do my predive check list you can bet I'm looking closely at each item. If fact, I am for more likely to make a stupid mistake when diving with friends (who may be able to help me).

So, why do I dive solo, because the choice is between dive solo or not diving and I accept the additional risk sometimes as preferable to only diving a few times a year.

Stan

Highfeedback:
Training and preparation is what it takes to scuba dive safely. Training and preparation is also what it takes to solo dive safely. Accident reports show us that in as many as half the instances where a bubby is asked for help they do not effectively give it.

Underwater problems need to be solved underwater. Be prepared to do that whether you’re diving solo or with a buddy.

I would never dive solo without carrying with me everything that a buddy might be able to supply me with if I needed it.

Self sufficiency is what’s needed for solo diving and what’s needed to be a good diver period.

Solo diving isn’t the reckless pursuit it’s made out to be by most of the certification agencies. On the other hand it’s not something to be entered into lightly. If you feel you have the ability and personal discipline to safely pursue solo diving, first seek all the information you can about it and any training that is available in your area. When you start, move forward in easy steps with short, shallow dives to test the self sufficient package you’ve put together. Build up to longer and deeper dives with time.

Although diving is a safe pursuit when done properly and within the limits of your training and ability, you are in an alien environment that requires life support equipment to stay alive. Treat it as such and you'll be diving safely.

What a great summary of the pertinent points! I think we should distill them as I've done above and call it the Solo Diver's Creed.

Seriously, I agree completely with everything you said. Great job of refocusing us on the issues.

-Grier

Although I don't dive solo, I will probably will at some time in the future when I have a bit more experience and am better equipped (hardware-wise and brainware-wise). In weighing the risks, it always seems as though we look at buddies as reducing risk and maybe on the whole that's true. But what about that risk of having a buddy? The big scary for me is the panicked buddy, the one who's unintentionally drowning my sorry arse gouging my reg out of my face cause his air has failed. I know it gets back to "what's a good buddy?" and preparation/discipline, but if someone hasn't taken a good Stress & Rescue course and practiced the skills, they might find themselves in trouble. I know it sounds selfish, but I took the instruction in large part to protect myself and make me better prepared, not necessarily to make me a better buddy (although I think it did). Having a buddy might be nice in the event YOU have a problem but not if your buddy does.

I have been diving now for about 10 years, logged hundreds of dives and have never, ever been alone on a dive. Yes, experience does make a huge difference, but when something does go wrong like a failed regulator, out of air condition, entanglement in vegetation like kelp, disorientation inside a wreck, narcosis at depth, etc. (and it eventually will if you dive long enough) it is paramount that you have someone with you to help out. When I first started diving back in the mid 90's, I too had it beat into my head to NEVER EVER dive alone. I thought, ok I am a pretty smart and level-headed person. I was in the military at the time and had gone through lots and lots of highly specialized and pressure-intense training. I was a Naval Officer and had been trained to remain level-headed even during chaotic circumstances. I thought to myself, "This is nothing. If I ever get into trouble, I can take care of myself and I won't panic. I'll just use the training I have and respond the way I have practiced so many times." Well, that sounds really good in your head, but the honest truth is that when you do get into trouble the first few times, YOU DO PANIC a little and fear does some strange things to that rock-hard ego inside that tells you that you can handle anything. And even with a buddy next to you or a few meters away, you still feel a little isolated and alone. It was not until after 100 or so dives that I built up the confidence in my own abilities and skills to venture 20-30 feet away from my dive buddy or out of their line of sight. Because getting into trouble (like getting caught on something, having your tank come loose, or losing a piece of equipment in strong current , etc) is only compounded when your are alone or far from your buddy. I recently (after 10 years of diving experience) completed the Advanced Open Water course and am enrolling in the Emergency First Responder course as well. I had certainly experienced (many many times) the types of diving we did during the advanced course, but I still learned a great deal about diving and how to respond to emergencies in advanced circumstances.
So to answer your question about what are the inherent risks of diving alone, I would have to say(especially for a new diver) that mistakes made due to FEAR are probably the most important additional risks you assume if you choose to dive alone. I do know several people who routinely dive alone on a regular basis. They are all extremely experienced divers that are either at the Master Diver level or beyond. I do not agree with their decisions to dive alone, but I do understand their love for the sport. Experience is one thing, and goes a long way when something goes wrong. But it does not take the place of another person's ability to remain level-headed and calm during a diving emergency. Having a buddy with you increases the probability that you will respond appropriately during an emergency and they can assist you and possibly save your life should you suffer any medical trauma on your way back to the surface. Imagine you have an out-of-air condition and you have to do a controlled emergency ascent to the surface. Well, if you have never actually done this for real (I have once), controlling your emotions and general tendencies to "freak out" is a little harder than you might think. Having a buddy's spare regulator or pony bottle, or spare air can make this emergency a more controlled one. Also, if you are injured, who is going to help you once you make it to the surface. You certainly cannot give yourself CPR, for instance. How would you make it out of the water, back into the boat, or back to shore without assistance? This is just one circumstance out of hundreds that you could find yourself in if you are diving alone.

The choice is obviously still your's to make, but I would highly recommend that one not feel so confident in his/her skills that common sense gets pushed aside in the process. Depending upon your skills, equipment, and training is a necessary component in this sport, but common sense is also pretty important. Your ego and faith in your ability is not going to save you in an emergency, but a buddy certainly can and probably will.

DavidHickey:
I probably should have kept this on the post below, but I'm just curious guys I'm really new to diving, and I've read alot on the horrors of solo diving here on the board. I've read how dangerous it is and how you should have 1000's of dives before ever attempting it and should by NO means EVER consider it unless you can snatch the pebble out of the masters hand. BUT I have never read any reasons why people are so strongly against it. For instance my dives to date have been in shallow gravel pits 30' or so and in shallow tropical areas about the same depth. From these depths in good dive conditions can you explain the dangers you may face that would make this any more dangerous than snorkeling solo in the same waters? I am by NO means trying to say there are not dangers but being new and naive, I think to myself that in a worse case scenario you simply do a CESA inflate your BCD and swim to shore. Once again I'm not advocating solo diving, just wondering what hidden dangers await that basic scuba skills we are all taught could not remedy at these shallower depths. Most the answers I've read are to the extent of "If you have to ask your not ready" well thats not a real informative answer.

First, I dive solo AND I dive with a buddy. Which I do depends on the situation and the buddy available. I've been diving since 1971 and have always done this. Diving solo requires no more care than PROPER diving with a buddy. That implies that BOTH require skill, judgment and experience. Diving with a buddy doesn't give you license to do foolish things in the belief that your buddy will save your sorry butt. And, by the way, are YOUR rescue skills up to date so that you can do the saving if necessary?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom